Old September 26th 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann[_2_] Brenda Ann[_2_] is offline

Default Question: Who's knowledgable about FRoG-8800's?

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
Just got one of these. When I pulled it out of the box all it did was
light up the backlight on the display. I found online that this indicates
a bad backup battery. I figured this must be separate from the memory
backup batteries, lest the radio crap out when those batteries were pulled
for replacement, but all I could find were those batteries.

So, I disconnected the memory backup batteries, pulled the AC plug, left
it all with no power for a couple minutes, and then reconnected the memory
backup batteries and plugged it in. AHA! I got a display! And the VFO
frequency changed with the dial, but still no sound, and the display was
blinking.

I noticed the fine tuning control, and centered that, just because I'm
that nit-picky. Checking that the control was indeed in its center
position, I continued to turn it to the right, and my display stopped
blinking, and I got audio. Turning it back to the left, I found that I
lost audio and the display started blinking again at a point just past the
center of the control.

I readjusted the control to just the point where it was stable, and
started tuning around, and the radio works fine on all frequencies (like I
can really TELL with my noise level!)

So, my question is, since I have no schematic and so have no way to track
the problem down, how do I correct this problem, which I assume is the PLL
going out of lock when the fine tuning control is rotated much past the
center to the left? The radio seems to be great other than this minor
flaw, and I would like to get it fixed.

It is also noted that the problem does not seem to present itself in
either SSB mode, where I can fine tune all the way to either end of the
control without the PLL going out of lock.

Found the problem. The schematic that Toxic linked me too helped a lot
(amazing how much easier it is to track things down with paperwork). The
problem ended up being a coil in the circuit with the fine tuning and
crystal was just in need of a (very) minor tweak. Less than 1/8 turn of the
slug and the oscillator snapped to life as stable as you please. Now I can
just pray for a power failure so I can hear something below S-7. RCI on
11240 was 60dB over S-9 and clear as a bell (I could hear them on a crystal
set).

Thanks for the help.