Old October 4th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Jack Pagel Jack Pagel is offline

Default 30 meter mod for a Kenwood TS-520

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Jack Pagel wrote:

Was there ever a modification that will enable transmit on 30 meters?
Thanks,

Jack-

As I understand the TS-520, it has tuned circuits plus a heterodyne
crystal for each band. You could sacrifice 40 Meters, retune the coils
for 30 Meters, and change the 40 Meter heterodyne crystal for one that
is 3 Mhz higher. In theory, it would then tune from 10.0 MHz when the
dial indicated tuning from 7.0 MHz.

Retuning the coils might be as simple as changing a tap on a coil or
replacing a capacitor in a parallel-tuned circuit. Doesn't the TS-530
have the WARC bands included? You might look at it for ideas on how
best to modify the TS-520.

Be careful, since you could easily end up transmitting outside the Ham
bands!

73,
Fred
K4DII

I just picked up a TS-520 at a local hamfest. It receives 30 meters with
no problem, with the WWV monitor switching, so I thought it may not be
so difficult to add the transmit too. I read about someone doing that
with a TS-180, which I know nothing about those radios. Years ago I took
out 40 and put in 30 meters on a HW-8 QRP rig. It was easier going up
frequency than it would have been if I took out 20 meters instead.