Old September 28th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default 30 meter mod for a Kenwood TS-520

Was there ever a modification that will enable transmit on 30 meters?
Thanks,
Old September 28th 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:44:08 GMT, Jack Pagel wrote:
Was there ever a modification that will enable transmit on 30 meters?
Thanks,

Nope.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old October 3rd 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Jack Pagel wrote:

Was there ever a modification that will enable transmit on 30 meters?
Thanks,

Jack-

As I understand the TS-520, it has tuned circuits plus a heterodyne
crystal for each band. You could sacrifice 40 Meters, retune the coils
for 30 Meters, and change the 40 Meter heterodyne crystal for one that
is 3 Mhz higher. In theory, it would then tune from 10.0 MHz when the
dial indicated tuning from 7.0 MHz.

Retuning the coils might be as simple as changing a tap on a coil or
replacing a capacitor in a parallel-tuned circuit. Doesn't the TS-530
have the WARC bands included? You might look at it for ideas on how
best to modify the TS-520.

Be careful, since you could easily end up transmitting outside the Ham
bands!

73,
Fred
K4DII
Old October 4th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Jack Pagel wrote:

[...]

I just picked up a TS-520 at a local hamfest. It receives 30 meters with
no problem, with the WWV monitor switching, so I thought it may not be
so difficult to add the transmit too. I read about someone doing that
with a TS-180, which I know nothing about those radios. Years ago I took
out 40 and put in 30 meters on a HW-8 QRP rig. It was easier going up
frequency than it would have been if I took out 20 meters instead.
Old October 4th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Jack Pagel wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Jack Pagel wrote:

[...]

Maybe. Certainly you're part way there. There's the position on the
bandswitch, the crystal oscillator and low level tuned circuits.

The key part may be that there's no contacts for the transmitter tuned
circuits on the bandswitch. So there's no place to solder tuned circuits
for transmitting. So you have to find a similar switch with similar
contacts and transplant them into the rig, then add the tuned circuits.

Michael VE2BVW