Old November 7th 09, 02:20 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
who where who where is offline

Default Matching impedance with coax

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:55:19 -0600, tom wrote:

who where wrote:

Whatever - and whoever Art is. I wonder why people like you carry on
at a personal level towards posters whose views you don't share. And
you seem to need the limelight, posting a name and callsign.

I'm describing how the matching IS done commercially. You can crap on
forever if you wish about how you might do it. Fini.

The "ways it's done commercially" depends a lot on the desired result.

A choked line into a 50 ohm DE is an easy to do but not optimal method.

It doesn't give best gain or BW or best F/B or best noise temperature
and never ever gives the best combination of them for weak signal work.

But it IS easy.

And it's not always what the commercial antenna builders use. It's what
you have noticed that they sell. Or you might be pushing how much it's
used just a bit.

If you re-read what I posted, you will notice I stated "series coax
transformer". An in-line impedance transforming section is totally
different to simply stuffing RF choking on the line.

It is the method the three major manufacturers here in Australia
employ on their SMD's and the driven FD's on their yagis.