Old November 12th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default mast position when mounting a beam?

MTV wrote:

Steve,

One thing I found out AFTER I'd put up my HF beam is that 1) I'd mounted
the beam too close to the tower, abt 4" - just enough to clear the
tower, or 2) I should have located the top egg insulators on the guy
wires right next to the tower instead of 3-5' below. Methinks the guy
wires at the top of the tower may be resonate on 10-15 meters and raised
the SWR being so close to the HF beam. I also put VHF/UHF beams on top
of the mast about 3' above the HF beam but their SWR is a very wide band
1:1. If I had to do it over again I'd use a longer mast, which I could
have done since the lower part of the mast is secured at least 3' below
the rotator bushing.

Marv
W5MTV

He makes a good point. I was responding only to the antenna elements,
boom and mast. The environment surrounding it needs to be reasonably
clear, and that includes height above ground.

tom
K0TAR