Old November 11th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default mast position when mounting a beam?

I'm in the process of putting up a 4 element 6 meter beam.
I'd like it to be balanced but that means I'll be attaching
it to my pole half way between the driven element and
first director. This is a 2" diameter aluminum pole and I'm
concerned that it will interfere with the pattern.

Can anyone say (with some level of confidence) if this is
a problem? Normally, beams seem to be mounted adjacent
to an element. TIA

Steve

Old November 11th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm in the process of putting up a 4 element 6 meter beam.
I'd like it to be balanced but that means I'll be attaching
it to my pole half way between the driven element and
first director. This is a 2" diameter aluminum pole and I'm
concerned that it will interfere with the pattern.

Can anyone say (with some level of confidence) if this is
a problem? Normally, beams seem to be mounted adjacent
to an element. TIA

Steve

If the pole is perpendicular to the elements it shouldn't have much effect
on the pattern or the match, but if you want vertical polarisation then
you'll have a number of issues to contend with - the feeder as well as the
mounting pole.

Chris

Old November 11th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Steve wrote:
I'm in the process of putting up a 4 element 6 meter beam.
I'd like it to be balanced but that means I'll be attaching
it to my pole half way between the driven element and
first director. This is a 2" diameter aluminum pole and I'm
concerned that it will interfere with the pattern.

Can anyone say (with some level of confidence) if this is
a problem? Normally, beams seem to be mounted adjacent
to an element. TIA

Steve

Assuming that it's going up horizontally polarized and that the pole is
vertical, it won't make any difference where you put it.

tom
K0TAR

Old November 12th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Steve wrote:
Thanks guys....yes the beam will be horizontal and
perpendicular to the mast.

"tom" wrote in message
. net...
Steve wrote:
I'm in the process of putting up a 4 element 6 meter beam.
I'd like it to be balanced but that means I'll be attaching
it to my pole half way between the driven element and
first director. This is a 2" diameter aluminum pole and I'm
concerned that it will interfere with the pattern.

Can anyone say (with some level of confidence) if this is
a problem? Normally, beams seem to be mounted adjacent
to an element. TIA

Steve

Assuming that it's going up horizontally polarized and that the pole is
vertical, it won't make any difference where you put it.

tom
K0TAR

Steve,

One thing I found out AFTER I'd put up my HF beam is that 1) I'd mounted
the beam too close to the tower, abt 4" - just enough to clear the
tower, or 2) I should have located the top egg insulators on the guy
wires right next to the tower instead of 3-5' below. Methinks the guy
wires at the top of the tower may be resonate on 10-15 meters and raised
the SWR being so close to the HF beam. I also put VHF/UHF beams on top
of the mast about 3' above the HF beam but their SWR is a very wide band
1:1. If I had to do it over again I'd use a longer mast, which I could
have done since the lower part of the mast is secured at least 3' below
the rotator bushing.

Marv
W5MTV

Old November 12th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

MTV wrote:

Steve,

One thing I found out AFTER I'd put up my HF beam is that 1) I'd mounted
the beam too close to the tower, abt 4" - just enough to clear the
tower, or 2) I should have located the top egg insulators on the guy
wires right next to the tower instead of 3-5' below. Methinks the guy
wires at the top of the tower may be resonate on 10-15 meters and raised
the SWR being so close to the HF beam. I also put VHF/UHF beams on top
of the mast about 3' above the HF beam but their SWR is a very wide band
1:1. If I had to do it over again I'd use a longer mast, which I could
have done since the lower part of the mast is secured at least 3' below
the rotator bushing.

Marv
W5MTV

He makes a good point. I was responding only to the antenna elements,
boom and mast. The environment surrounding it needs to be reasonably
clear, and that includes height above ground.

tom
K0TAR