Old January 3rd 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.knives,soc.culture.thai
Brian Anasta Brian Anasta is offline

Default New Years Shout Out to BushcraftGreg for the Invite to RRS

On Jan 3, 10:58*pm, Krypsis wrote

Oh, so you can speak, read and write Vietnamese then? That's about the
only way you could gain enough experience to describe the activities in
* "Soc.Culture.Vietnamese" as a shining example of a discussion forum.
You might actually find that some of the younger foreign born Vietnamese
using some English words where they don't know, have forgotten, or
simply don't care to use the Vietnamese equivalent but it won't be
enough for you to get the gist of the discussion. I just looked in on
one discussion on computer video resolution. Quite interesting how they
swap from English to Vietnamese and back again. Since it's a technical
discussion, I'm not surprised at the use of English as there may be no
Vietnamese equivalent or it may simply be easier to use the English version.

Well, just my 0.02 Dong's worth

Krypsis

Hi again Krypsis,

No I certainly cannot speak, read or write any Vietnamese and am
unfortunately not able to contribute to any discussion taking place in
the soc.culture.Vietnamese forum. What I can see, however, is that the
Vietnamese discussion is generated by a seemingly large number of
authors on what would also seem like a diverse range of topics. This
is how the Thai forum once was like back in its glory days, and as you
mention, it is doubtful the group can pull itself out if its mire. I
spend most of my time on moderated groups such as Thai Visa these days
for the sheer sake of being able to be involved in discussion which
actually relates to Thailand - unlike that which goes on in SCT
nowadays.

Anyway, thanks for your insight and point of view.

Kind Regards,
Brian