Old January 16th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
sorry-spammers sorry-spammers is offline

Default hep with amp

A warning about these things...

A few years ago, a local ham bought a tube CB amp from an estate sale, thinking he could use it on 10 meters. He asked me to check it out before
putting it on the air.

Being a paranoid type, even though the thing hadn't been plugged in for about two weeks, I kept my fingers away from the tubes & measured the voltage
on the plate caps before doing anything else.

**400 VOLTS**.

(I think I got as much of a shock from reading the voltmeter as I would have if I'd touched the HV circuit!)

After discharging things, I traced the wiring. And was not at all surprised to find there was NO BLEEDER. Nothing to discharge the HV after
switchoff. Obviously the filter capacitors were in good shape though!

In other words, these things are physically dangerous.

(I would imagine the signal quality wouldn't be very good either...)

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66