Old March 8th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Old "Boat Anchor" tube receivers vs. Solid State receivers?

On Mar 8, 1:30*pm, wrote:
On Mar 8, 11:07*am, bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 7:48*am, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:

On 3/8/10 09:20 , bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:20 am, *wrote:
You believe because you've dropped the big bucks and WANT to believe.
But most of it is hype and the *EIA has done a superb job of convincing
consumers how badly they need the new whistles and bells. There is
very little difference between the propaganda used today by the drug
companies to sell
their nonsense snake oil *("restless legs syndrome," etc) and that which the
has come
from manufacturers of modern day radios.

Save your money, pick up a cheap older rig and you'll enjoy it as much as
(if not more than)
the rigs filled with rarely used features and performance specifications
that are
patently unnecessary.

And while I am at it, my quote was that "MOST" can discern the difference
in 100 cycles. I didn't say ALL. This group seems include many Doberman
pinschers
with keen hearing.

What a *bunch of nitpicky old ladies
are on here.

Clive, I have an Icom R75, and although some will diss this radio, I
can tell I enjoy the "bells and whistles" a great deal. *The stability
and crispness of the signal (both driftwise and in terms of AGC and S-
AM) that can be achieved with this radio is quite nice.

* *Did you get the crystal oven on that one?

The S-AM on
this set is only so-so, from what I understand - I would love to hear
what the really good S-AM (on a more recent Drake, for example) sounds
like.

* *I've got sync on my Drakes, Lowe Ten-Tec and AOR. The difference
is in the distortion during fades. There's less of it. The fades are
still there, but the audio doesn't shatter.

* *If you know what you're listening for, it's a big difference. If
not, it's not that big a deal.

* *I use my rigs without sync more than with.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Peter - well, that's about what I thought - the Kiwa-modified
S-AM on the R75 definitely helps soften the blow of the fades (the
distortion disappears for all practical purposes), and the AGC when
the RF Gain is turned back a wee bit fills in and remedies all but the
deepest fades. *I just figured the Drake/AOR/etc. did it better. *Not
having ever heard one in person (NOBODY sells or demos them around
this metropolis), I just don't know for sure. *In fact, you can't find
any shortwave receiver sales at all anymore except the usual lowball
Etons at RS. *HRO has nothing but tranceivers anymore.

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

* *Eton is even lower than most people think of it.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I dunno - lots of people like the E-1 sans XM. Never heard one
myself.

Bruce