Old March 19th 10, 08:22 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx amdx is offline

Default FM antenna curiosity

I have an FM radio inside an aluminum boat. The radio worked ok with the
AC cord as the antenna but I got interference when I used my laptop.
I found the circuit that ran from the power transformer to the antenna input
on the
FM IC. I installed a connector that is used on car radios and wired the
center pin
to the foil that went to the FM IC (capacitor on pcb isolated) and the
shield side to
dc ground near the IC. I then plugged in a telescoping car antenna and it
worked
great on the bench .
So I installed the antenna on the outside of the boat and the radio inside,
now one station I listen to is weak, but if I unplug the antenna and let the
center pin touch ground of the connector on the radio it comes in great.
Just curious why it is working this way.
BTW, the mod did cure the computer hash.
Mike