Old March 19th 10, 09:58 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default FM antenna curiosity

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:42:15 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Richard, after I read your letter I did a little better checking and
found
my signal is not weak it is to strong, I'm getting interference from other
frequencies.
Also I get stations on the wrong frequency.
I went out and collapsed the antenna to minimum about 1/3 of what it was
and
my problem station is perfect and the other station I listen to is still
good. The local
NPR station isn't good though. But I can download the podcast of Science
Friday :-)
Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Normally, a too strong signal is not a problem with FM as FM literally
locks onto the strongest signal and rejects the competitors. This is
not a characteristic of the RF wave, but rather the modulation
employed.

Collapsing your antenna is the same thing as moving it.

Now, as to your experience of receiving signals on the wrong
frequency, that is a classic situation of image rejection being poor
due to the lack of a tuned front-end (something that dissappeared with
the dinosaurs). If I were to guess on the basis of 40 year old
experience fixing these suckers, your off-frequency signals are
probably shifted by twice the IF frequency of your receiver. The
classical FM IF frequency of 10.7 MHz might apply, but time has
marched on and designers may select their own. This old standard
would argue that you shouldn't experience images except where they
would be out-of-band (the 88-107 band with this IF would force that).
A simple test is to tune into at least two of these off-frequency
stations, note what frequency they should be and subtract the
frequency where they appear. If you are having image issues (no, this
is not a self-help hint), the two or more stations should come up with
the same differences.

If you come up with the same number, AND you have trouble with
interference from adjacent stations (there are guard bands to prevent
this), THEN you have one crappy receiver.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

The receiver is an undercounter mounting Sony AM/FM, radio with CD.
Nothing great, but Sony ususally does a fair job.
Mike

Old March 19th 10, 08:22 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I have an FM radio inside an aluminum boat. The radio worked ok with the
AC cord as the antenna but I got interference when I used my laptop.
I found the circuit that ran from the power transformer to the antenna input
on the
FM IC. I installed a connector that is used on car radios and wired the
center pin
to the foil that went to the FM IC (capacitor on pcb isolated) and the
shield side to
dc ground near the IC. I then plugged in a telescoping car antenna and it
worked
great on the bench .
So I installed the antenna on the outside of the boat and the radio inside,
now one station I listen to is weak, but if I unplug the antenna and let the
center pin touch ground of the connector on the radio it comes in great.
Just curious why it is working this way.
BTW, the mod did cure the computer hash.
Mike

Old March 19th 10, 09:29 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

amdx Inscribed thus:

[...]

Sounds as if the antenna is fed with co-ax and has too much capacitance
across the input. Put a trimmer capacitor in series with the centre
pin and see if that improves things. Try 2-20 or 5-50pf.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old March 19th 10, 10:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:22:42 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

So I installed the antenna on the outside of the boat and the radio inside,
now one station I listen to is weak, but if I unplug the antenna and let the
center pin touch ground of the connector on the radio it comes in great.
Just curious why it is working this way.

Hi Mike,

You moved the antenna.

Most loss of signal as you describe comes from not being a weak
signal, but the mixture of signals that combine negatively at some
spot due to multiple reflections. When you replaced the line cord as
antenna for this better implementation, you also found that "sour (not
sweet) spot." This can occur for any frequency with the equal
likelihood of reflections combining negatively. Move your antenna a
quarter wave and see what happens.

Your description of your having an aluminum boat almost guarantees a
multitude of RF-bright reflections. At short wavelengths, this also
guarantees many, many regions that will exhibit destructive (as well
as constructive) combinations of those reflections.

Put your antenna as far away from the superstructure or hull as
possible. This will reduce the reflection path differences.

BTW, the mod did cure the computer hash.
Mike

FM has what is called a "full quieting" effect. It would suggest that
your first signal levels were just barely above the level of full
quiet (and perhaps not even that good).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old March 19th 10, 11:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

amdx wrote:
[...]

The usual, lousy FM tuner. They don't make'em like they used to. It's
the same with television sets, one large signal and they fall off the
rocker.

If you have a radio with a signal strength meter you could notch out a
strong station. But that only works it it's just one and far away from
the NPR frequency. The only other options are to get a better radio, a
directional antenna, or just live with it and use the podcast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Old March 19th 10, 11:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:
[...]

One solution: Try to get an old Becker car radio. And I mean old, at
least 40 year, the first transistorized ones that could still be
switched to 6V. They used to be standard issue in Mercedes Benzes.

[...]

Old March 19th 10, 11:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Joerg" wrote in message
amdx wrote:
"Joerg" wrote in message
amdx wrote:
[...]

This morning I got on the boat and the signal that was improved to good
by
shortening the antenna is now bad. 94.5 has interference from 101.1.
Oh well!

You really need a better quality radio and with radios and a lot of other
stuff older = better :-)

I mean, considering what the boat must have cost ...

Well the boat is a pontoon boat (maybe $6,000) that I run my business
from, my wife or I are on the boat 70 hrs a week.
The radio was fine when I used the original AC cord antenna, except when I
was on my laptop, it caused hash
in the audio. That's why I isolated the antenna from the AC, that did
eliminate the computer hash.
I have put together a car radio and wall wart that I use with a pillow
speaker at night. Maybe later I'll put
together another one for the boat.
Mike

Old March 20th 10, 05:42 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Clark"

Now, as to your experience of receiving signals on the wrong
frequency, that is a classic situation of image rejection being poor
due to the lack of a tuned front-end (something that dissappeared with
the dinosaurs). If I were to guess on the basis of 40 year old
experience fixing these suckers, your off-frequency signals are
probably shifted by twice the IF frequency of your receiver. The
classical FM IF frequency of 10.7 MHz might apply, but time has
marched on and designers may select their own. This old standard
would argue that you shouldn't experience images except where they
would be out-of-band (the 88-107 band with this IF would force that).

** Hearing the same FM station at more than one spot is still possible even
with a 10.7 MHz IF frequency - if the signal is very strong. The reason
is harmonics of the incoming carrier generated in the RF stage interacting
with harmonics of the local oscillator in the mixer.

Eg:

A 100MHz FM carrier generates a harmonic at 200MHz in the receiver.

When the local oscillator is adjusted to 94.65 MHz, its second harmonic is
189.3 MHz.

The difference frequency is then 10.7 MHz - so goes through to the FM
detector.

In this situation, the FM deviation is doubled so the recovered audio will
be distorted on loud passages.

..... Phil