Old April 19th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Radio WOO WOO

On Apr 18, 6:18*pm, I. P. Yurin
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:34:06 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen

wrote:
On Apr 18, 2:52*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:23:31 -0500, wrote:
You ever been tuning in an old radio and it goes,,,
WOO WOOOOOO WAMHH WOOO,,,

That's Good.
cuhulin

That's just before the cone pops out of the speaker.

Jim

I had flames come out of an old Hallicrafters Marine Radio once
following such an event. *Exciting, but not what I was hoping for.

I can empathize. But was it just flames? Or were there other odd
phenomena between the noise and the flames?

You know, the events were almost simultaneous. The radio was working
OK one minute, then the next minute the speaker began to warble, and
very soon the sparks flew and puff of smoke emerged. I am certain
that the two were related, although at the time I had no idea how to
reverse the problem. The latter event did not last long - maybe just
a few seconds. It was a heartbreaking moment.

Bruce