Old May 23rd 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
dave dave is offline

Default Looking to sell old Radio equipment

starwars wrote:
Of course, it's worth nothing that this newsgroup,
rec.radio.amateur.equipment is not a buy and sell newsgroup. It's for
the discussion of equipment related to amateur radio.

So the original post didn't belong here for that reason.

It may not be obvious to people who have not followed the newsgroup since
the newsgroup name does suggest equipment discussions including perhaps
buying and selling would be appropriate. If not, someone could have pointed
it out politely instead of hurling insults at the poor fellow.

Further, since there is rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, clearly there
is an intent that older equipment be discussed over there. It's not
primarily a buy and sell newsgroup either, though they were wishy-washy
when creating the newsgroup so buying and selling is actually allowed,
though it's supposed to be a secondary use (ie if you're talking about
older equipment, then some level of buying and selling related to
the discussion fits, but it was never intended for carpetbaggers to
suddenly appear to sell their stuff). But, the boatanchors newsgroup
would at least be read by an audience that would see the historical
aspect of the equipment in the original post.

Well said, but not everybody knows how to find newsgroups. Who knows what
news service or reader he's using, he may not have access to all groups. I
don't think it was a google post or I would not have seen it. Unless the
guy is a habitual offender who has received explanations like yours we
can't assume he is flaunting protocol.

Your gentlemanly reply is a breath of fresh air. Thank you for posting this
information. I hope it will help future readers and posters.

I didn't insult the seller. I insulted his collection of boatanchor
test gear.

It looks as though someone cleaned out a shop back in 1964 or so and
someone else recently found the stuff. The McMartin EBS receiver might
be a decent AM radio.