Old May 29th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] hallicrafter@collins.net is offline

Default Receiver for ham and cw

On Fri, 28 May 2010 15:32:42 GMT, notbob wrote:

I'm still studying for my ham license and still learning CW. I
enjoyed the Grove website and am looking for a moderate priced
($100-200) receiver for tuning in CW signals. I see many trick radios
in that price range. Some with weather channels, which would be nice,
some with MW/LF besides SW. Also, many claim SSB. A question. Does
shortwave pull in CW. Seems to me it does. I recall a old tube SW
radio I played around with as a kid. Madly studying my band maps. I
would like to pull in some CW signals to help learn.

Also, I need a radio that's pretty sensitive. I'm waaaay out in the
boonies, the CO Rockies at 8K ft. No problem putting up some sorta
rudimentary outside antenna (dipole, etc). Any help appreciated while
I'm still learning all this new stuff.

nb

Any receiver with SSB will tune in CW signals. However, CW is a narrow
bandwidth mode so a receiver with a narrow/wide filter selection is
preferable. A narrower filter will allow you to zero in on one station
at a time. Also, you would want the ability to tune in fine increments
so that the CW tone is continuously variable and you are able to get
the same audio frequency with each CW station.

Since you mention that you are in the US, you don't need to pass a
code test to become an amateur operator. But it is a good idea to
learn CW anyway since you are interested. You would want to listen to
the 40 meter band just above 7MHz. This is where the novices used to
practice and you should hear a few people after sunset sending CW at
slower speeds in this area. Put your receiver in SSB (LSB mode to
listen to CW). Tune away. Good luck!

LW beacons are good to practice on too. A beacon station transmits a
steady tone interrupted by a CW ID.

Jim