Old June 3rd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Question about "Another look at reflections" article.

On Jun 2, 6:33*pm, Keith Dysart wrote:
The voltage and
current distribution on a transmission line can be solved with a set
of differential equations which satisfy some boundary conditions.

I am not interested in voltage and current. Like optical physicists, I
am only interested in tracking the RF energy flow.

It does not make these waves any more real.

Agreed, but the point is that it does not make the traveling waves any
LESS real!

I bring you back to a previous question which you have never
answered...
On an ideal line with 100% reflection, there are points where the
current
and voltage is always 0. Knowing that if either current or voltage is
0,
power is also 0, how does energy cross these point?

Good grief, I have answered that question at least a dozen times. The
net current being zero is just an illusion caused by superposition of
two magnetic fields propagating in opposite directions that are equal
in magnitude and opposite in phase. The two traveling waves keep on
trucking at their relatively constant ExH energy levels in opposite
directions. If you want to account for the energy, when the current is
zero, all of the energy existing at that point is in the electric
field and, sure enough, the voltage is at a maximum at that point-
duuuhhhh again. There is absolutely no point on an active transmission
line where the net energy level is zero. Again, you guys are never
going to convince anyone that the Golden Gate Bridge doesn't need
maintenance because the net traffic on the bridge is zero. How the
heck can thousands of vehicles traveling one direction while the same
number of vehicles are traveling in the opposite direction add up to
zero effect in reality? Please get real.

And if I cut the line at all the places where the current is zero, it
does not alter the energy distribution on the line one iota. How can
this be if energy is travelling from end to end on the line?

As I told you years ago, when you cut the line, you radically change
the impedance and create a reflection that didn't exist before you cut
the line. Hint: There are no reflections at a point of constant Z0.
There are only reflections at an impedance discontinuity. The
alteration of the energy distribution (to which you seem to be blind)
can easily be observed in a TV system.

PHYSICS has long given up on the idea of waves being an explanation
for light.

And RF waves are technically light, just not visible light. When I was
rummaging through the Texas A&M library, I found a book entitled,
"Light". It covered the subject of RF waves.

EM waves are analog and in
no way encompass the quantum nature of photons.

You could become famous if you can prove that EM waves are not
quantized. Good luck on that one.

No one has claimed that EM waves stand still, ...

Please prove your ridiculous assertion that no one has ever claimed
that EM waves can stand still.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com