Old June 13th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Gregory [UK] Brian Gregory [UK] is offline

Default Why Solder the Ends of Stranded Antenna Wire ?

"Krypsis" wrote in message
u...
On 13/06/2010 10:26 PM, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
wrote in message
Never heard of such a thing. I use insulators at each end, and in the
old days I used a neon bulb or a 12V tail light bulb as a bleed off. I
went to gas discharge tube arrestors a long time ago. The 12V bulb made
a really nice light show on winter days when the wind was really going.

What kind of buld exactly is a "12V tail light bulb"?

An automotive 12 volt, 5 watt bulb (globe) with (usually) a bayonet
fitting. You can get bulbs that have dual filaments, one filament for tail
lights, the other for brake or indicator lights. The brake/indicator light
filament has a higher wattage rating (21 - 25 Watts) so the bayonet
typically has staggered locating pins. This prevents the higher wattage
rating being used as the tail light filament.

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/light...or-globes.html

New technology is seeing the incandescent bulbs being superseded by LED
arrays.

Krypsis

But that would most definitely not light from the static electricity induced
in an antenna wire on a stormy night and would shunt away much of the wanted
signal anyway.

So I think BDK must mean something else.

Either that or he's making it up as he goes.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.