Old July 30th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default For Dick: From OP Re TV Antenna

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:29:04 -0400, Bob wrote:

BTW: Re the rabbit ears and the loop on my present antenna:

Which is for vhf and which for the uhf channels ?

Hi Bob,

The ears are for VHF, the loop is for UHF. Neither are critically
adjusted - aside from your effort on the ears; and even there, few
choose or find "classic" lengths. If I am to guess correctly (by
inference of your old TV/antenna), then I would say you were
reasonably served by the Boston channels in the past. This suggests
that you are probably just on the fringe of the newer technology's
lower power transmission.

The antenna you have now is not suited for outdoor environment (you
could probably guess this). However, if you first invest in a
suitably long enough cable/wire and go outside with it mounted on a
broom stick and climb a ladder to do a survey around and about, then
this will give you a first-pass guesstimate of how much effort you
will need to put into this project. This test will lack in stability
of position, and the ability to trim the lengths of the rabbit ears,
but I bet it will give you enough information.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC