Old July 29th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default From OP Re TV Antenna

Hi Guys,

Just a quick thanks for all the really good info.
Nice of you all to take the time; appreciate it.

BTW: That DB-2 I mentioned is really large for anywhere but an attic.
Didn't realize the dimensions of the thing.

The rabbit ears we now have are on the top of our fridge, and not too
obvious. Running a wire from the attic may not be practical, for now.

Any suggestions on anything possibly worthwhile to try, smaller than the
DB-2 ?

Thanks again,
Bob
Old July 30th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:05:38 -0400, Bob wrote:

Any suggestions on anything possibly worthwhile to try, smaller than the
DB-2 ?

Hi Bob,

FIRST, your objective should be height, the ability to "see" the city
(or, more specifically, the transmit towers: consult the other posters
on how to locate them).

SECONDLY, you select the antenna that does the job. As your rabbit
ears nearly work, they might fully work up on high.

THIRDLY, how high is a matter of many practical issues. Hence the
suggestions for attic locations by others. This is an easy first test
that costs no more than the length of cable/wire necessary to go
there. You will need the cable/wire anyway.

FOURTHLY, if your antenna at the desired height doesn't work (which,
in effect, is your original complaint), then throw money at it in the
form of amplifier, antenna, mast, mounting hardware, and rotator (you
never revealed how up to speed you are in knowing where your
broadcasters are).

It will cost more doing it in the expensive order (buying the antenna
first, and possibly a second one when the first doesn't work, etc.).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 30th 10, 12:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default For Dick: From OP Re TV Antenna

Hi Dick,

Really good suggestions.
Thanks.

BTW: Re the rabbit ears and the loop on my present antenna:

Which is for vhf and which for the uhf channels ?

Thanks again, and for all the past help,
(and everyone's else)

Bob
--------------------

Old July 30th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:29:04 -0400, Bob wrote:

BTW: Re the rabbit ears and the loop on my present antenna:

Which is for vhf and which for the uhf channels ?

Hi Bob,

The ears are for VHF, the loop is for UHF. Neither are critically
adjusted - aside from your effort on the ears; and even there, few
choose or find "classic" lengths. If I am to guess correctly (by
inference of your old TV/antenna), then I would say you were
reasonably served by the Boston channels in the past. This suggests
that you are probably just on the fringe of the newer technology's
lower power transmission.

The antenna you have now is not suited for outdoor environment (you
could probably guess this). However, if you first invest in a
suitably long enough cable/wire and go outside with it mounted on a
broom stick and climb a ladder to do a survey around and about, then
this will give you a first-pass guesstimate of how much effort you
will need to put into this project. This test will lack in stability
of position, and the ability to trim the lengths of the rabbit ears,
but I bet it will give you enough information.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC