Old January 15th 04, 07:28 PM
Eamon Skelton

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:44:19 +0800, Richard Hosking wrote:

Dear all
I want to design a power supply for a low power rig with protection for
reverse and overvoltage. The requirement would be about 1A at 12-14V.
What is the best way of achieving this? I guess a diode would give
reverse voltage protection but the 0.6V drop is a problem.

Richard

Hi Richard.

If you do decide to use a switching supply, the diode
or diodes in the output of the switching circuit may
me be all the reverse voltage protection you need.
Make sure that the output smoothing capacitor can
handle any voltage it is likely to encounter.

A crowbar and fuse will protect against overvoltage.
A hefty Thyristor (SCR or whatever they call them now)
or triac makes a good crowbar.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply by E-mail.