Old October 18th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Help.

Bill Baka wrote:
On 10/17/2010 08:29 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
BAMA has a manual for at least one of the Mitey-Mites, and I would be
surprised if a call to Sencore didn't get you the full listing. However,
I would also be very wary of emission measurements.

I'm very careful with my stuff and just want to test a 5R4-GB9t?). I
have also found a stash of tubes I didn't even know about.

Put a 5R4 in it, find the filament pins, then find the plate and cathode
by trial and error. Adjust the shunt until you get a good result with a
known-good tube, then put the unknown in. You _can_ test diodes very
effectively with the emission tester.

Put up a wish list and I will see if I have it. I have a lot of those
damned Compactrons that were spawned in the 60's and 70's. My room mate
and I bought a brand new zenith B/W around 75 or so and it had a mess of
those tubes and a bunch of those hated 7 and 9 pin tubes.

Compactrons are basically worth nothing at all, but they are some of the
damned finest tube designs ever. I have used TV tuner compactrons for 2M
converters and had noise performance better than a nuvistor and better than
most solid state front ends. Some really impressive engineering went into
them, but they didn't have much of a chance to get used by the ham radio
folks.
--scott