Old October 18th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Help.

I have a near mint Sencore tube tester, model TC162 and I really need
the manual so I know what settings to use for various tubes.
Anybody?
TIA,
Bill Baka
Old October 18th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bill Baka wrote:
I have a near mint Sencore tube tester, model TC162 and I really need
the manual so I know what settings to use for various tubes.
Anybody?

The Mitey-Mite testers only measure emission, not transconductance, so
all you really have to set are the pin positions. They are of limited
utility except for quick comparisons between TV set tubes and the like.

BAMA has a manual for at least one of the Mitey-Mites, and I would be
surprised if a call to Sencore didn't get you the full listing. However,
I would also be very wary of emission measurements.
--scott

Old October 18th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 10/17/2010 08:29 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bill wrote:
I have a near mint Sencore tube tester, model TC162 and I really need
the manual so I know what settings to use for various tubes.
Anybody?

The Mitey-Mite testers only measure emission, not transconductance, so
all you really have to set are the pin positions. They are of limited
utility except for quick comparisons between TV set tubes and the like.

Another $5.00 garage sale item. I have a much better tester with the
manual in my garage but it is piled about 5 feet high. I was going to
attack it today with her so she could sort out her considerable
collection of English Literature. Kind of an obvious English major.

BAMA has a manual for at least one of the Mitey-Mites, and I would be
surprised if a call to Sencore didn't get you the full listing. However,
I would also be very wary of emission measurements.
--scott

I'm very careful with my stuff and just want to test a 5R4-GB9t?). I
have also found a stash of tubes I didn't even know about.
Put up a wish list and I will see if I have it. I have a lot of those
damned Compactrons that were spawned in the 60's and 70's. My room mate
and I bought a brand new zenith B/W around 75 or so and it had a mess of
those tubes and a bunch of those hated 7 and 9 pin tubes.
I also have steely's from as far back as the 30's that have never been
opened. Post wish lists and if I can get my good tester found I will
test each one before money changes hands.
Thanks,
Bill Baka
Old October 18th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bill Baka wrote:
On 10/17/2010 08:29 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
BAMA has a manual for at least one of the Mitey-Mites, and I would be
surprised if a call to Sencore didn't get you the full listing. However,
I would also be very wary of emission measurements.

I'm very careful with my stuff and just want to test a 5R4-GB9t?). I
have also found a stash of tubes I didn't even know about.

Put a 5R4 in it, find the filament pins, then find the plate and cathode
by trial and error. Adjust the shunt until you get a good result with a
known-good tube, then put the unknown in. You _can_ test diodes very
effectively with the emission tester.

Put up a wish list and I will see if I have it. I have a lot of those
damned Compactrons that were spawned in the 60's and 70's. My room mate
and I bought a brand new zenith B/W around 75 or so and it had a mess of
those tubes and a bunch of those hated 7 and 9 pin tubes.

Compactrons are basically worth nothing at all, but they are some of the
damned finest tube designs ever. I have used TV tuner compactrons for 2M
converters and had noise performance better than a nuvistor and better than
most solid state front ends. Some really impressive engineering went into
them, but they didn't have much of a chance to get used by the ham radio
folks.
--scott