Old November 7th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Scott[_4_] Scott[_4_] is offline

Default Power Supply?

On 11-7-2010 08:06, MrRas wrote:
Hi all,

I've decided to do something that I've wanted to do for a long time, and
that is to get my ham license. I've got the book and I'm reading up. I'm
signed up for a test in December. I'm pretty excited. But I've been
looking around just "window shopping" for components to build a radio in
the coming months. I have a probably really basic question. How do you
power the radio itself? I have a scanner, and I know that it came with a
wallplug, but when I'm looking around at radios I don't see any mention
of this.

example; I look at a radio and it says "power; supplied DC power adapter
13.8v" or something to that effect.

How do I run this thing indoors? I don't want to run this in my car. I
know it can be done, but how? I'm just not sure of the name of the thing
that lets me go from wall plug -- radio. Once I get that, I'll be good.
I've searched sites like radioshack for things like "power adapter"
"radio power supply" to no avail. I live in a place with out many shops
so my main shopping will be done online unfortunately.

Thanks for any help.

What you are looking for is simply called a "Power Supply". I converts
the AC from the wall to DC...most commonly to 13VDC (often just called a
12 Volt Power Supply). You will need one appropriate to the radio you
will be using as far as current capability. If you are going to be
powering a modern solid state HF radio that puts out up to about 100
Watts, you should get a supply that can put out about 20 or 25 Amps. Is
is always OK to get one that can put out more current such as 37 Amps or
50 Amps, etc. than you need at present. It is nice to go "oversize"
right off the bat if cost is not a concern. As you add equipment (more
radios, amplifiers, etc.) you will require a power supply that can
supply all of the currents for each piece of equipment hooked up to the
power supply added together.

Scott
N0EDV