Old November 7th 10, 08:06 AM
Junior Member

Default Power Supply?

Hi all,

I've decided to do something that I've wanted to do for a long time, and that is to get my ham license. I've got the book and I'm reading up. I'm signed up for a test in December. I'm pretty excited. But I've been looking around just "window shopping" for components to build a radio in the coming months. I have a probably really basic question. How do you power the radio itself? I have a scanner, and I know that it came with a wallplug, but when I'm looking around at radios I don't see any mention of this.

example; I look at a radio and it says "power; supplied DC power adapter 13.8v" or something to that effect.

How do I run this thing indoors? I don't want to run this in my car. I know it can be done, but how? I'm just not sure of the name of the thing that lets me go from wall plug -- radio. Once I get that, I'll be good. I've searched sites like radioshack for things like "power adapter" "radio power supply" to no avail. I live in a place with out many shops so my main shopping will be done online unfortunately.

Thanks for any help.
Old November 7th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

MrRas wrote:
[...]

You'll probably want a "switch mode" supply, as they are way lighter and
more efficient. Get one built for amateur radio, as they don't make HF
noise.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...ron-index.html

Old November 7th 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:06:33 +0000, MrRas
wrote:

[...]

Start with these folks.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/

There are a few Hams that bad mouth MFJ (Mighty Fine Junk) but I have
been dealing with them for a long time and have never regreted a
purchase.

Acquire a recent copy of the ARRL Handbook (last five - ten years) and
use it as a reference.

Good luck with the test and I hope to meet you on the air!

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old November 7th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 11-7-2010 08:06, MrRas wrote:
[...]

What you are looking for is simply called a "Power Supply". I converts
the AC from the wall to DC...most commonly to 13VDC (often just called a
12 Volt Power Supply). You will need one appropriate to the radio you
will be using as far as current capability. If you are going to be
powering a modern solid state HF radio that puts out up to about 100
Watts, you should get a supply that can put out about 20 or 25 Amps. Is
is always OK to get one that can put out more current such as 37 Amps or
50 Amps, etc. than you need at present. It is nice to go "oversize"
right off the bat if cost is not a concern. As you add equipment (more
radios, amplifiers, etc.) you will require a power supply that can
supply all of the currents for each piece of equipment hooked up to the
power supply added together.

Scott
N0EDV
Old November 7th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"MrRas" wrote in message

[...]

Most transceivers now do not have built in power supplies. They are
designed to operate on what most people just say 12 volts. This is just a
nominal value. They are really made to operate best around 13.8 volts.
That is the nominal value a car electrical system has when the motor is
running.

It depends on how much power the transceiver you want to get as to the power
supply you will need. The Astron brand is good. I have a 50 amp supply I
have used for 15 years without any problems. It is the analog type and not
the switching kind. The basic design goes way back over 30 years. Very
simple and almost fool proof. For most people I think a 35 amp supply is
the best for the money. It will power most of the so called 100 watt output
transceivers. That 35 amps is the most it can supply. You can always use
devices that pull less current. Just like a 120 volt socket in your house.
It does not mater what you plug into the 120 volt socket, the device will
only take wht current it needs if it is rated for 120 volts. You only get
into trouble if you have several devices that take more current. With my
50 amp supply I have several transceivers hooked up to it that draw a lot
of current on transmitt. As long as I only transmitt with one at a time, it
will handle the currrent just fine.

Here is a link to the Astron site.

http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=2

I like the RS-A series. The RS-35A is what I would recommend to most new
hams.

I guess that you know you can go to www.qrz.com and take some practice
tests. When you get to the 90% mark you should be ready for the real test.

Old November 7th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I guess that you know you can go to www.qrz.com and take some practice
tests. When you get to the 90% mark you should be ready for the real test.

I used these an Gordon West's Extra book to go from no license to
Amateur Extra in 5 weeks. Of course when I took my Extra test at Grumman
their were 12 year old Asian middle-schoolers getting theirs.

I didn't look for a VE until I was at 100% on 3 consecutive tries on the
practice exams. The FCC tests are easier than the practice exams.
Old November 7th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
I used these an Gordon West's Extra book to go from no license to Amateur
Extra in 5 weeks. Of course when I took my Extra test at Grumman their
were 12 year old Asian middle-schoolers getting theirs.

I didn't look for a VE until I was at 100% on 3 consecutive tries on the
practice exams. The FCC tests are easier than the practice exams.

I used the Gorden West tapes to learn the code. That was many years ago.
They seem good to me. I did not use anything to learn the written tests. I
have been in electronics for many years so the technical questions were
easy, just had to learn the rules.

I don't see how you can say the FCC test are any easier than the practice
exams. The question and answers are suspose to be the same. While I have
been a ham for over 35 years, I hear how hard the tests are suspose to be.
I do go to the QRZ practice tests about once a year just to see how well I
can do without the pressure. Usually get over 90% in a very short time.
Now the tests are just how well one can memorize the Q&As.

I always tell the new people to just memorize the Q&As and do not try to
learn anything. Then if they are really serious about learning instead of
talking, get a Handbook and study that. I almost think it should be
required to own a Handbook before you take the test or get a license.
Atleast have access to one if there are several hams in one family.

Power supply Kevin Dooks Boatanchors 0 January 20th 08 03:04 PM
FA linear power supply with toroid power xformer jeff Equipment 0 March 19th 06 07:07 AM
wtb 30-50 amp power supply [email protected] Antenna 1 February 13th 06 06:21 PM
wtb 30-50 amp power supply [email protected] Swap 0 February 13th 06 01:38 AM
Astron RS-20A Power Supply Great Condition - used to power a VHF radio Les Smith Swap 5 October 16th 03 09:47 AM