Old November 7th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Power Supply?

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
I used these an Gordon West's Extra book to go from no license to Amateur
Extra in 5 weeks. Of course when I took my Extra test at Grumman their
were 12 year old Asian middle-schoolers getting theirs.

I didn't look for a VE until I was at 100% on 3 consecutive tries on the
practice exams. The FCC tests are easier than the practice exams.

I used the Gorden West tapes to learn the code. That was many years ago.
They seem good to me. I did not use anything to learn the written tests. I
have been in electronics for many years so the technical questions were
easy, just had to learn the rules.

I don't see how you can say the FCC test are any easier than the practice
exams. The question and answers are suspose to be the same. While I have
been a ham for over 35 years, I hear how hard the tests are suspose to be.
I do go to the QRZ practice tests about once a year just to see how well I
can do without the pressure. Usually get over 90% in a very short time.
Now the tests are just how well one can memorize the Q&As.

I always tell the new people to just memorize the Q&As and do not try to
learn anything. Then if they are really serious about learning instead of
talking, get a Handbook and study that. I almost think it should be
required to own a Handbook before you take the test or get a license.
Atleast have access to one if there are several hams in one family.