Old January 9th 11, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sherwood Engineering updates receiver performance list

On Jan 8, 10:12*pm, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 1/8/11 18:08 , Steve wrote:

I'm not a contester either and I personally wouldn't spring for a
rig as pricey as the Yaesu FTDX-5000. At one time I might have
been convinced to take the plunge, but I've played with high end
rigs and the real world difference in performance between a 5K
rig and a $1500 rig is not what the price difference might lead
you to expect.

I say this not to disparage the high end rigs, but to celebrate
the lower end rigs and what they're capable of!

* *Once you reach a certain level, the difference is going to be a
function of your antenna performance.

* *But then, that's always true at any level.

* *During the heyday, Zenith T/Os were known for their exceptional
sensitivity and deep reach on crowded bands. With the built-in whip.

* *Truth is, that T/0's were good, but nothing special. With a hand
alignment, they could be made to be reasonably selective, but that
legendary sensitivity was merely a perception, and artifically
contrived, at that.

* *With Zenith's lowered threshold, increasing the operating range,
of the AGC, and reduced recovery time, T/O's would seem to be more
sensitive than the average receiver, when sitting side by side. The
deeper reach made quieter signals pop more lively on the T/O than
rigs in the same class. And most owners didn't realize that increase
in noise along with the signal was not a sign of increased sensitivity.

* *Even so, T/O's were often $75-100 more than similar radios in the
same class.

* *Real world...they were usually more radio than most listeners
would ever need.

* *Today, a modern rig can easily reach within striking distance of
that $5k rig for far less. The difference is often at the very
limits of performance, if not the limits of credibility. And the
number of features most users will never touch.

* * For a few thousand, you can improve your radio and improve your
performance by a few percent.

* * For a few hundred you can improve your antenna and improve your
performance tenfold.

The first two elements are very necessary :
# 1 the Radio
# 2 the Antenna

But without the third element : There may be
nothing for the first two to pick-up and hear.
# 3 the Location
+ The Right Location can make #1 & #2
a Joy to Use.
- The Wrong Location can make #1 & #2