Old January 24th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx amdx is offline

Default Math help characterizing Antenna, Please

"J. C. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
.. .
Dear Mikek: Thank you for your response. Knowing goals is important.

A great deal could be learned by using an antenna modeling computer
program such as EZNEC.

Note that my estimate of the antenna's Z is calculated with one assumption
(some loss in the series inductor) and that its calculations equate 55 +
j0 to the impedance of the inductor, capacitor and antenna. Some of the
calculations I have seen seem to assume that one has applied 55 ohms and
then look backwards from the antenna.

Place my estimate of 159 -j526 in parallel with -j717 and then add (the
series) 3 + j310. You should fine the result to be
55.053 -j 0.0711 which is close to 55.

Maximizing the sensitivity of a semiconductor diode detector is probably
done empirically because of the difficulty of finding an appropriate model
for the non-linear detector. Expect that the apparent answer will be
amplitude dependent.

Do report you findings. Regards, Mac

"J. C. Mc Laughlin"

Hi J. C.
If your interested in the diode characterists Ben Tongue has done a lot of
crystal radio work.
http://www.bentongue.com/xtalset/xtalset.html
Articles 6, 7, 8, 9 , 10, 15A, 16, 17A, 27 and 28 are all about detector
diodes and there characteristics.
Thanks, Mikek