Old February 7th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K1TTT K1TTT is offline

Default Antenna in the Attic

On Feb 7, 7:53*pm, sid wrote:
On Feb 7, 1:49*pm, K1TTT wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:38*pm, sid wrote:

I plan to relocate our entertainment system to the basement. At the
same time I plan to run cable to the attic for TV and Radio. *I would
like some advice on what type of cable to run and what types of
Antennas would work best from an attic.

Do I need to go buy a radio antenna, or is it just as simple to
construct one ?

Thanks'

what kind of radio?

Just and AM / FM receiver.

I was considering:
2x cat5+ UTP
1x 75 coax for TV
1x 50 coax for FM
AM ??

you can normally use the same antenna for TV and FM, and i think most
FM receivers are 75 or 300 ohm inputs anyway. if you really want a
separate one for FM there are simple cheap parallel wire dipoles that
often come with receivers you can just tack up on the wall. AM
receivers probably won't care if you use 50 or 75 ohm, just run a loop
of wire around the attic as far from power lines as you can and that
should be fine.