Old February 7th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
sid sid is offline

Default Antenna in the Attic

I plan to relocate our entertainment system to the basement. At the
same time I plan to run cable to the attic for TV and Radio. I would
like some advice on what type of cable to run and what types of
Antennas would work best from an attic.

Do I need to go buy a radio antenna, or is it just as simple to
construct one ?

Thanks'

Old February 7th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
sid sid is offline

On Feb 7, 1:49*pm, K1TTT wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:38*pm, sid wrote:

I plan to relocate our entertainment system to the basement. At the
same time I plan to run cable to the attic for TV and Radio. *I would
like some advice on what type of cable to run and what types of
Antennas would work best from an attic.

Do I need to go buy a radio antenna, or is it just as simple to
construct one ?

Thanks'

what kind of radio?

Just and AM / FM receiver.

I was considering:
2x cat5+ UTP
1x 75 coax for TV
1x 50 coax for FM
AM ??

Old February 7th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 7, 7:53*pm, sid wrote:
On Feb 7, 1:49*pm, K1TTT wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:38*pm, sid wrote:

I plan to relocate our entertainment system to the basement. At the
same time I plan to run cable to the attic for TV and Radio. *I would
like some advice on what type of cable to run and what types of
Antennas would work best from an attic.

Do I need to go buy a radio antenna, or is it just as simple to
construct one ?

Thanks'

what kind of radio?

Just and AM / FM receiver.

I was considering:
2x cat5+ UTP
1x 75 coax for TV
1x 50 coax for FM
AM ??

you can normally use the same antenna for TV and FM, and i think most
FM receivers are 75 or 300 ohm inputs anyway. if you really want a
separate one for FM there are simple cheap parallel wire dipoles that
often come with receivers you can just tack up on the wall. AM
receivers probably won't care if you use 50 or 75 ohm, just run a loop
of wire around the attic as far from power lines as you can and that
should be fine.
Old February 7th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
sid sid is offline

On Feb 7, 2:14*pm, K1TTT wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:53*pm, sid wrote:

On Feb 7, 1:49*pm, K1TTT wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:38*pm, sid wrote:

[...]

should be fine.- Hide quoted text -

So I end up with 2 coax cables:
1st coax for TV/FM with an antenna in the attic.
What about a signal amp ? do they really help ?
2nd coax for AM, loop around the attic (how big is too big and should
it be parallel or horizontal to the ground ?)

Can I use splitters for multiple receivers, or will this degrade the
signal too much ?

Old February 7th 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 7, 9:28*pm, sid wrote:
On Feb 7, 2:14*pm, K1TTT wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:53*pm, sid wrote:

On Feb 7, 1:49*pm, K1TTT wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:38*pm, sid wrote:

[...]

using splitters or preamps depends on how strong the signals you want
to get already are. if they are strong enough then you can use
splitters without any problem, if they are too weak you may need a
preamp to boost them before splitting.

you can't make an AM loop too big or orient it enough to make any
difference inside your house, just run it around what is easy to reach
and don't worry about it.

Attic Antenna? Tom Pamin Scanner 7 May 21st 07 05:58 AM
Intuitively {To My Way of Thinking} for an In-the-Attic Antenna the Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna offers these Benefits : RHF Shortwave 0 December 12th 05 09:00 PM
Attic antenna not doing much [email protected] CB 5 May 7th 05 11:24 PM
Attic antenna Bob Antenna 8 September 1st 03 09:16 AM
Attic antenna Bob Scanner 6 August 31st 03 10:20 PM