Old March 10th 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Which Is Better ? -or- Building a Better Radio Shack with a Few[Under 10] Very Good Radios !

On Mar 9, 12:51*pm, Mike wrote:
On Mar 9, 2:29*pm, RHF wrote:

? Have you consider a 'separate' 12VDC Car Battery
power Supply just for your Radios on the Go to be
able to run the Radios longer when going 'portable'
and/or at Home to reduce/eliminate the RFI on the
house's AC Line ?

Yeah, I posted to the newsgroup about my experiences doing that with
an R75 back in 2001.

I have an ICE RFI line filter behind all my RF equipment right now,
and for $75 I think it has the desired effect. When the noise floor
is consistently far below the bottom of the S-meter, I am pretty well
convinced that any RFI my radios receive is coming down the coax, one
way or another. I can eliminate about the top 50-80% of this with the
MFJ-1026 and my two existing antennas; if I could duplicate my most
recent effort (the inverted L with 9:1 unun at the antenna and 1:1
Isolator at the radio end), I'd chop off another 10-20% of the RFI and
probably boost many of the signals too (especially 60-120 meters).
The last 10-30% - well, that's just gonna take a DXpedition, I think.