Old March 6th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Which is better?

If you had a choice between acquiring an older analog receiver, which
do
you think would be a better bet:

A Sony ICF-5900W or Panasonic RF-2200?

Opinions will help me decide on my next eBay target.

Mike
Louisville
Old March 6th 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a Panasonic RF-2600 AM/FM/Shortwave radio.I bought it brand new at
a local Service Merchandise store wayyyy back when.Ask me why I don't
like that radio!

I say, GO for that Sony.
cuhulin

Old March 6th 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Do you ever get over to E-Town? Elizabethtown.
cuhulin

Old March 6th 11, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike "I'm a college professor with a PhD" Bryant wrote:

If you had a choice between acquiring an older analog receiver, which
do
you think would be a better bet:

A Sony ICF-5900W or Panasonic RF-2200?

Opinions will help me decide on my next eBay target.

You really need to save your money so you don't wind up broke, like you were
when you got canned and/or resigned at Weber State.

Old March 6th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Mike "I'm a college professor with a PhD" Bryant wrote:

If you had a choice between acquiring an older analog receiver, which
do
you think would be a better bet:

A Sony ICF-5900W or Panasonic RF-2200?

Opinions will help me decide on my next eBay target.

You really need to save your money so you don't wind up broke, like you were
when you got canned and/or resigned at Weber State.

Oh my, I forgot the fact that you are now at Backwater U. where the salaries are
astronomical.

Old March 6th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/06/2011 10:21 AM, Mike wrote:
A Sony ICF-5900W or Panasonic RF-2200?

Opinions will help me decide on my next eBay target.

They both are historical pieces. Your average $75 Chinese portable will
run circles around them.
Old March 6th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

On 03/06/2011 10:21 AM, Mike wrote:
A Sony ICF-5900W or Panasonic RF-2200?

Opinions will help me decide on my next eBay target.

They both are historical pieces. Your average $75 Chinese portable will
run circles around them.

Doubtful. But then, many toters will disagree.

Old March 7th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 2:10*pm, dxAce wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Oh my, I forgot the fact that you are now at Backwater U. where the salaries are
astronomical.

I can assure it's more than you're making off your gov't disability
check...
It's nice you're doing so comfortably on it.

Old March 7th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 2:10 pm, dxAce wrote:
dxAce wrote:

Oh my, I forgot the fact that you are now at Backwater U. where the salaries are
astronomical.

I can assure it's more than you're making off your gov't disability
check...
It's nice you're doing so comfortably on it.

Hang in there, eventually you'll get a handle on the 'personal finance' thing.

Perhaps Backwater U. will offer you some classes.

Old March 10th 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Which Is Better ? -or- Building a Better Radio Shack with a Few[Under 10] Very Good Radios !

On Mar 9, 12:51*pm, Mike wrote:
On Mar 9, 2:29*pm, RHF wrote:

? Have you consider a 'separate' 12VDC Car Battery
power Supply just for your Radios on the Go to be
able to run the Radios longer when going 'portable'
and/or at Home to reduce/eliminate the RFI on the
house's AC Line ?

Yeah, I posted to the newsgroup about my experiences doing that with
an R75 back in 2001.

I have an ICE RFI line filter behind all my RF equipment right now,
and for $75 I think it has the desired effect. When the noise floor
is consistently far below the bottom of the S-meter, I am pretty well
convinced that any RFI my radios receive is coming down the coax, one
way or another. I can eliminate about the top 50-80% of this with the
MFJ-1026 and my two existing antennas; if I could duplicate my most
recent effort (the inverted L with 9:1 unun at the antenna and 1:1
Isolator at the radio end), I'd chop off another 10-20% of the RFI and
probably boost many of the signals too (especially 60-120 meters).
The last 10-30% - well, that's just gonna take a DXpedition, I think.