Old March 24th 11, 11:24 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Liebermann[_2_] View Post
Another day in antenna hell. This time, I needed a 440Mhz antenna for
a temporary repeater installation. My last remaining antenna a rather
broken Diamond X50a. The previous owner leaned the antenna against a
wall, and then backed his car into it, breaking the fiberglass radome
and bending the guts. I managed to unmangle the antenna and epoxy the
radome, but somewhere in the shuffle, the ground radials disappeared.
Duz anyone have an X50a handy that can measure the length of the
ground radials (from the aluminum base casting to the end)? The
current random length welding rods (with toothpicks jammed into the
holes) are not going to last.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
I have a relative in the communications business who would tell you to throw it away.
The reason is - unless you are going to hook it up to a junk radio -there is no reason to use a junk antenna unless the radio is of no value to you.

Moores law tells me that it is probably past it's prime and it probably isn't going to last very long anyways.

A friend of mine has a antenna that sounds identical to the one you are trying to repair and the lengths on his antenna looks to be 12 inches.

I have not taken it down to physically measure it, but we are about to move it in a month or two and if you still need the exact measurement - I will get it for you.

I am surprised that the manufacturer didn't offer give you the dimensions.
Diamond X50 - radial / part number 07003
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50a.html

73's
Jerry