Old March 16th 11, 06:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Need Diamond X50a ground radial dimension

Another day in antenna hell. This time, I needed a 440Mhz antenna for
a temporary repeater installation. My last remaining antenna a rather
broken Diamond X50a. The previous owner leaned the antenna against a
wall, and then backed his car into it, breaking the fiberglass radome
and bending the guts. I managed to unmangle the antenna and epoxy the
radome, but somewhere in the shuffle, the ground radials disappeared.
Duz anyone have an X50a handy that can measure the length of the
ground radials (from the aluminum base casting to the end)? The
current random length welding rods (with toothpicks jammed into the
holes) are not going to last.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old March 24th 11, 11:24 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Liebermann[_2_] View Post
Another day in antenna hell. This time, I needed a 440Mhz antenna for
a temporary repeater installation. My last remaining antenna a rather
broken Diamond X50a. The previous owner leaned the antenna against a
wall, and then backed his car into it, breaking the fiberglass radome
and bending the guts. I managed to unmangle the antenna and epoxy the
radome, but somewhere in the shuffle, the ground radials disappeared.
Duz anyone have an X50a handy that can measure the length of the
ground radials (from the aluminum base casting to the end)? The
current random length welding rods (with toothpicks jammed into the
holes) are not going to last.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
I have a relative in the communications business who would tell you to throw it away.
The reason is - unless you are going to hook it up to a junk radio -there is no reason to use a junk antenna unless the radio is of no value to you.

Moores law tells me that it is probably past it's prime and it probably isn't going to last very long anyways.

A friend of mine has a antenna that sounds identical to the one you are trying to repair and the lengths on his antenna looks to be 12 inches.

I have not taken it down to physically measure it, but we are about to move it in a month or two and if you still need the exact measurement - I will get it for you.

I am surprised that the manufacturer didn't offer give you the dimensions.
Diamond X50 - radial / part number 07003
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50a.html

73's
Jerry
Old March 26th 11, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:24:31 +0000, Channel Jumper
wrote:

'Jeff Liebermann[_2_ Wrote:
;737205']Another day in antenna hell. This time, I needed a 440Mhz
[...]

Good advice, but doesn't apply in this case. I'm back into building
yet another repeater:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/K6BJ-MSF5000/
Due to a combination of club politics and my laziness, the repeater
will be tested at my house for a hopefully limited time.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a suitable antenna and decided that the
trashed Diamond X50 was the least disgusting alternative to doing it
the right way. As long as it doesn't destroy the power amp with
excess VSWR, it should be fine for testing.

Various sympathetic friends have also offered to sell me spare
antennas. I could also build one (I'm partial to a center fed
Franklin/Amos antenna, but have only built these for 2.4Ghz, not
440Mhz).
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/AMOS-7/index.html
But first, I need to finish some work, and complete my taxes.

Moores law tells me that it is probably past it's prime and it probably
isn't going to last very long anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law
Moore's law has to do with the number of xsistors on integrated
circuits, not the lifetime of my antennas and other abominations.

A friend of mine has a antenna that sounds identical to the one you are
trying to repair and the lengths on his antenna looks to be 12 inches.

I've seen several from the ground, but have been too lazy to climb the
towers or drop the poles in order to make the measurement.

I have not taken it down to physically measure it, but we are about to
move it in a month or two and if you still need the exact measurement -
I will get it for you.

Thanks for the offer. I don't think it will be necessary but it would
be nice to know the real lengths. I fabricated some radials using
brass welding rods and found that the lengths are non-critical.
Scaling the length from a photo, I guessed high at about 10" and cut
them to 11". When I find the real dimensions, I'll cut them to size.

I am surprised that the manufacturer didn't offer give you the
dimensions.
Diamond X50 - radial / part number 07003
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50a.html

Y'er right. I should have called RFparts.

Thanks much.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

VERTICAL GROUND RADIAL QUESTION Ron Goldstein--KA2IIA Antenna 3 September 3rd 06 07:56 PM
Microstrip dimension Scott Homebrew 10 August 3rd 06 01:21 AM
Ground Radial - Steel Welded Wire Mesh Fencing -plus- K9AY Terminated Loop Antenna Group on YAHOO ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 5th 05 01:17 AM
Corrosive protection for ground radial plate? Jim Keller Antenna 4 November 25th 04 08:27 AM
HAMS...be aware of the AFRICAN diamond email scam, heres some info and diamond quality scam jack smith General 14 May 7th 04 12:51 AM