Old June 6th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default Real estate worth more than an AM

In article ,
"David Kaye" wrote:

When land in Chattanooga is worth more than ad receipts, you know that AM
radio is in trouble. Frankly, I'm surprised that more Bay Area AMs haven't
been turned into real estate developments. To date I know of only one.

There are very few (if any) operating AM sites in the Bay Area that are
capable of being turned into housing developments.

They are all in either hard-core industrial areas, next to rendering
plants, on the bay (and in the bay), on toxic sites, or even on land
used by studios for multiple stations. The only site I can think of that
might be suitable for residential conversion might by the King Road 1170
site, which is a horse pasture in the midst of cheesy apartments.

"The one" you mention was right square in the middle of some rapidly
expanding housing. It is now a mix of multi-family housing, light
industrial, retail, and even San Jose's main post office. In any event,
I can't think of a single site in the Bay Area that is comparable in
terms of development potential.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400