Old June 3rd 11, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Real estate worth more than an AM

This is from Tom Taylor at Radio-Info.com

Chattanooga’s oldest station goes dark after 86 years.
WDOD-AM debuted in 1925 to help its owners sell their crystal radio sets,
and to entertain and inform the community. Cy Bahakel acquired WDOD (1310)
in 1963 and now the company is selling the 22 acres of real estate
associated with the 5-kw fulltime station, and turning in the license to the
FCC.

Mark Howell

Old June 6th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

"Mark Howell" wrote in message

now the company is selling the 22 acres of real estate associated with the
5-kw fulltime station, and turning in the license to the FCC.

When land in Chattanooga is worth more than ad receipts, you know that AM
radio is in trouble. Frankly, I'm surprised that more Bay Area AMs haven't
been turned into real estate developments. To date I know of only one.

Old June 6th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

In article ,
"David Kaye" wrote:

When land in Chattanooga is worth more than ad receipts, you know that AM
radio is in trouble. Frankly, I'm surprised that more Bay Area AMs haven't
been turned into real estate developments. To date I know of only one.

There are very few (if any) operating AM sites in the Bay Area that are
capable of being turned into housing developments.

They are all in either hard-core industrial areas, next to rendering
plants, on the bay (and in the bay), on toxic sites, or even on land
used by studios for multiple stations. The only site I can think of that
might be suitable for residential conversion might by the King Road 1170
site, which is a horse pasture in the midst of cheesy apartments.

"The one" you mention was right square in the middle of some rapidly
expanding housing. It is now a mix of multi-family housing, light
industrial, retail, and even San Jose's main post office. In any event,
I can't think of a single site in the Bay Area that is comparable in
terms of development potential.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Old June 7th 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

David Kaye wrote:
"Mark Howell" wrote in message

now the company is selling the 22 acres of real estate associated with the
5-kw fulltime station, and turning in the license to the FCC.

When land in Chattanooga is worth more than ad receipts, you know that AM
radio is in trouble. Frankly, I'm surprised that more Bay Area AMs haven't
been turned into real estate developments. To date I know of only one.

I don't think AM radio is in trouble, but I think a lot of AM radio stations
are in big, big trouble. There are a lot of stations that are mortgaged to
the hilt, and there are also a lot of owners who are totally delusional
about the value of their property. They are convinced that the station
license is worth a huge amount of money, which it no longer is.

The license is not worth money... the listener base is worth money, but only
if the listener base actually exists.

We have some AM stations around here that do very well, including an AM
daytimer run by the former mayor which is probably the most popular station
in the city. We also have a lot of them that are basically on the air playing
garbage off the satellite with minimal advertising and minimal listeners while
the owners wait for a miracle to happen.
--scott

Old June 9th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

"John Higdon" wrote

"The one" you mention was right square in the middle of some rapidly
expanding housing. It is now a mix of multi-family housing, light
industrial, retail, and even San Jose's main post office. In any event,
I can't think of a single site in the Bay Area that is comparable in
terms of development potential.

Actually, a DUH came to mind, given that I once worked there. 1480 was
located across from the Concord Pavilion. When the lease expired the 5
towers were immediately taken down, the buildings demolished, and it seemed
like it was turned into houses in less than a year.

Address would be the intersection of Myrtle and Holly in Concord. Looks like
it was converted into about 8 properties.

Old June 9th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

On 6/6/11 3:46 PM, John Higdon wrote:
In ,
"David wrote:

... The only site I can think of that
might be suitable for residential conversion might by the King Road 1170
site, which is a horse pasture in the midst of cheesy apartments.

"The one" you mention was right square in the middle of some rapidly
expanding housing. It is now a mix of multi-family housing, light
industrial, retail, and even San Jose's main post office. In any event,
I can't think of a single site in the Bay Area that is comparable in
terms of development potential.

Explain 1550 then, John. The "new" KFRC towers are adjacent to 101, in
the shadow of the Oracle Campus, right near where Belmont, Redwood
Shores and San Mateo all meet. That seems like it would be some prime
real estate. Hell a big Mercedes dealershipship built their showroom
right next to that parcel.

Given that land's value and the pitiful ratings that 1550 gets with the
True Oldies Channel and the occasional overflow sports game, I have to
suspect that station would be worth more to CBS as real estate than as a
going concern.

Old June 10th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

In article ,
Neil wrote:

Explain 1550 then, John. The "new" KFRC towers are adjacent to 101, in
the shadow of the Oracle Campus, right near where Belmont, Redwood
Shores and San Mateo all meet. That seems like it would be some prime
real estate. Hell a big Mercedes dealershipship built their showroom
right next to that parcel.

Having done work at that site, I can tell you that it frequently floods,
it smells, and it is noisy as hell. That property would need a heluva
lot of love before you built anything there that might attract people.

Given that land's value and the pitiful ratings that 1550 gets with the
True Oldies Channel and the occasional overflow sports game, I have to
suspect that station would be worth more to CBS as real estate than as a
going concern.

That may be, but in my experience CBS only sells off properties that
have nice bottom lines (e.g. KBAY/KEZR). It has a "San Francisco" city
of license; how could they possibly let it go?

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Old June 11th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting

"Neil" wrote

Given that land's value and the pitiful ratings that 1550 gets with the
True Oldies Channel and the occasional overflow sports game, I have to
suspect that station would be worth more to CBS as real estate than as a
going concern.

There might be a BCDC tidelands restriction on the land.

http://www.bcdc.ca.gov/

Youngsville, LA Real Estate [email protected] CB 0 December 18th 07 05:17 AM
Youngsville, LA Real Estate [email protected] CB 0 December 18th 07 05:17 AM
More Real Estate Follies NY8TP CB 0 December 11th 05 08:10 PM
Minnesota Public Radio does Real Estate? Scanner Stan Broadcasting 0 April 8th 04 05:26 PM
Too Sweet Buying up Real Estate Twistedhed CB 15 February 16th 04 02:00 PM