Old June 7th 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Real estate worth more than an AM

David Kaye wrote:
"Mark Howell" wrote in message

now the company is selling the 22 acres of real estate associated with the
5-kw fulltime station, and turning in the license to the FCC.

When land in Chattanooga is worth more than ad receipts, you know that AM
radio is in trouble. Frankly, I'm surprised that more Bay Area AMs haven't
been turned into real estate developments. To date I know of only one.

I don't think AM radio is in trouble, but I think a lot of AM radio stations
are in big, big trouble. There are a lot of stations that are mortgaged to
the hilt, and there are also a lot of owners who are totally delusional
about the value of their property. They are convinced that the station
license is worth a huge amount of money, which it no longer is.

The license is not worth money... the listener base is worth money, but only
if the listener base actually exists.

We have some AM stations around here that do very well, including an AM
daytimer run by the former mayor which is probably the most popular station
in the city. We also have a lot of them that are basically on the air playing
garbage off the satellite with minimal advertising and minimal listeners while
the owners wait for a miracle to happen.
--scott