Old June 10th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default Real estate worth more than an AM

In article ,
Neil wrote:

Explain 1550 then, John. The "new" KFRC towers are adjacent to 101, in
the shadow of the Oracle Campus, right near where Belmont, Redwood
Shores and San Mateo all meet. That seems like it would be some prime
real estate. Hell a big Mercedes dealershipship built their showroom
right next to that parcel.

Having done work at that site, I can tell you that it frequently floods,
it smells, and it is noisy as hell. That property would need a heluva
lot of love before you built anything there that might attract people.

Given that land's value and the pitiful ratings that 1550 gets with the
True Oldies Channel and the occasional overflow sports game, I have to
suspect that station would be worth more to CBS as real estate than as a
going concern.

That may be, but in my experience CBS only sells off properties that
have nice bottom lines (e.g. KBAY/KEZR). It has a "San Francisco" city
of license; how could they possibly let it go?

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400