Old March 26th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Paul Huff Paul Huff is offline

Default Rediscovering the hobby.

"xpyttl" writes:

Amateur radio is an incredibly diverse hobby. The suggestion on reading up
is a good one, the suggestion on looking at clubs is a good one, but they
really won't give you a very complete view.

Most clubs have some area they gravitate toward. There are many areas of
amateur radio that aren't well served by local clubs, either because the
activity isn't amenable to the club model, or because a local area just
can't support enough amateurs interested in that particular niche.

Many amateurs on a budget are into QRP, and many QRPers are into building.
Now, don't get misled into thinking that building stuff is cheaper. Until
you have built up a good junk box, it tends to be more expensive. However,
the hours of enjoyment might well make it inexpensive on an hours of fun per
dollar basis. It won't be cheaper on a watts per dollar basis.

Yeah, a couple of months back I was looking into buying an HF rig to
see if I could have some fun with that, and most of the rigs in my
price range looked like they were QRP oriented. Though I _do_ have a
great assortment of computer parts lying around, I'm not sure many of
them would be useful in building my own rig

Some have suggested looking for a boatanchor. Personally, I don't enjoy
this, and like building, it isn't as cheap as it sounds. *BUT*, if you get
to thinking about buying used gear, go to ebay and study the "completed
auctions". While I feel a little uncomfortable about buying a used rig
sight unseen, the completed auctions section of eBay gives you a clue as to
what a particular rig is worth, and what affects its value. I should mention
that although I would rather put my hands on a rig before I buy it, I have
bought a few things on eBay and have never been burned. There are a few bad
actors out there, but generally hams are a likeable lot. Also, don't be
afraid to look at new rigs. Many decent used rigs sell for almost as much
as new. If there is a huge difference, there is probably a reason. Find
someone to talk to about the particular thing that interests you.

Honestly, since I have no idea what I'm really interested in still,
I'm way leary of buying used equipment, particularly over e-bay. I'm
just not sure what I want/need/will use. So I hear you on this one.
"Try before you buy" sounds mighty nice.

Many clubs are into public service. This is another area where you can get
a lot of fun for your buck. In this case, typically all you need is an HT.
Most clubs that do this are more than able to provide you with any necessary
training, and these activities can be a lot of fun.

Most amateurs feel that emergency response is part of their responsibility,
although most aren't willing to pay their dues. If you think emergency
response is part of your interest, you MUST find your local EC and get
involved with your local ARES or RACES group. In this day an age, you must
also pass some FEMA courses to be eligible. Hams who show up at a scene
with a rig and no training are part of the problem rather than the solution.

Due to family circumstances, time is kind of a scarce commodity right
now, too. However, ARES and RACES have sounded appealing to me in the
past. Thanks for the tip on the FEMA courses. I'll have to check
into those, as well.

Speaking of ARES, your statewide amateur organization needs leaders --
doesn't matter what state you are in. Volunteering your time to make
amateur radio better is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the hobby to
some, and is also one of the less expensive. Every section has dozens of
positions that need to be filled. They range from emcomm positions to
public information, to technical coordination to observer. Lots and lots to
be done.

Of course, there are plenty of operating only activities ... rag chewing,
DXing, contesting, etc. your Tech license gives you full access to the
space above 50 MHz, and there is a lot of territory there for
experimentation, if that is what floats your boat.

A lot of hams (at least here locally) thinking of moving beyond VHF seem to
feel they need a DC to daylight rig. This is certainly the high priced
spread. The rig can often be a minor problem; getting an antenna up in the
air that can do a decent job across a wide range of bands can be a bit of a
challenge, too. And unless you get into contesting, the reality is that you
will only operate on a couple of bands. Single band rigs can be many times
less expensive than the fancy rice boxes. Try to understand what sorts of
things sound interesting and look at satisfying only those needs if you are
on a budget.

Most importantly, though, find some local folks to chat with. This is where
a club can be handy. Even if a club is very focused on some particular
niche, there will be a few folks with other interests. Find out who they
are and knock some talk out of them.

..

Thanks for the tips.

-Paul, KC8IGJ