Old April 8th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] peace@capebyron.com is offline

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

It was more an inconvenience really, the US tests were (and probably
still are) easier than the ones in Oz. I supposed I could have
travelled to the US under my Aussie passport and nobody would have
been the wiser, but it would have involved committing perjury about my
dual citizenship, something that would have been hard to sleep with.

The US rules are unbending, if you are a US citizen you must apply for
a US license even if you are only visiting for a fortnight. When I
stayed for a long period they even tried to nick my Aussie drivers
license when I applied for a US one///

On Mar 30, 7:47 pm, Phil Kane wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:07:40 EDT, "Jack VK2CJC"

wrote:
As a UK citizen, I can use my Australian license in the UK so long as I am
visiting for less than 3 months. After that time, the privilege expires and
I have to get a UK license. Much the same as driving licenses.

Doesn't the US do the same?

There is no requirement to get a US license if one is operating under
a CEPT/CITEL/reciprocity agreement as long as the person is not a US
citizen. If s/he is a US citizen, a US license is required from day
one regardless of any dual citizenship and licensing held.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net