Old March 30th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Call signs for foreign amateurs operating in US

"Jack VK2CJC" wrote in
message
It was a little different for me because I am a dual
citizen (Australia and the US). When I inquired they
said I couldn't use my Australian license in the US,
even though I hadn't set foot in the US in decades,
because I maintained US citizenship, so I had to take
US tests and have a US callsign when visiting.

That's cos Australia and the US don't have a reciprocal
agreement.
I'm dual citizen of Australia and the UK, and I can use
my VK call in the UK for up to 3 months if visiting. Not
that I'd want to cos I still got my UK license

I am surprised that the US don't issue temporary visitors
licenses though. Aus and UK do that.

They used to, I had to get them when I used to visit the US before they
implemented CEPT T/R 61-01. The FCC called them "Alien Permits" which
always made me feel I should have been landing in a flying saucer rather
than a 747..!

73 Ivor G6URP

Old March 30th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:35:33 EDT, "Jack VK2CJC"
wrote:

That's cos Australia and the US don't have a reciprocal agreement.

I'm dual citizen of Australia and the UK, and I can use my VK call in the UK
for up to 3 months if visiting. Not that I'd want to cos I still got my UK
license

I am surprised that the US don't issue temporary visitors licenses though.
Aus and UK do that.

The US does allow non-citizens to operate in the US, either through
treaties such as the CEPT and CINTEL arrangements or through specific
reciprocal agreements.

What he is referring to is that if one is a citizen of the US, one
must get a US license to operate where the US has jurisdiction
regardless of what multiple citizenship or other licenses one holds.

That closed a very big loophole where US citizens would somehow get a
foreign license in a country where the standards for licensing
depended on who you knew and who you could pay off, and then operate
in the US under a reciprocal agreement without ever taking an FCC
license exam.

This restriction is not unusual. Forty years ago when I lived in
Israel they issued me 4X4UQ because I met all the examination
requirements. This was before the reciprocal licensing agreement and
CEPT came into being and one had to have an Israeli license to operate
there. When I returned to the US I had to give up all claims of
Israeli citizenship in order to work for the U S Government (FCC).
Even returning for visits I cannot reactivate or use that call sign
unless I immigrate again and if I do so I cannot use my US call sign
under the CEPT agreement as I can when I am a short-term visitor.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old March 30th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

What he is referring to is that if one is a citizen of the US, one
must get a US license to operate where the US has jurisdiction
regardless of what multiple citizenship or other licenses one holds.

As a UK citizen, I can use my Australian license in the UK so long as I am
visiting for less than 3 months. After that time, the privilege expires and
I have to get a UK license. Much the same as driving licenses.

Doesn't the US do the same?

--
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
FISTS# 9666

Old March 31st 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:07:40 EDT, "Jack VK2CJC"
wrote:

As a UK citizen, I can use my Australian license in the UK so long as I am
visiting for less than 3 months. After that time, the privilege expires and
I have to get a UK license. Much the same as driving licenses.

Doesn't the US do the same?

There is no requirement to get a US license if one is operating under
a CEPT/CITEL/reciprocity agreement as long as the person is not a US
citizen. If s/he is a US citizen, a US license is required from day
one regardless of any dual citizenship and licensing held.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old April 8th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

It was more an inconvenience really, the US tests were (and probably
still are) easier than the ones in Oz. I supposed I could have
travelled to the US under my Aussie passport and nobody would have
been the wiser, but it would have involved committing perjury about my
dual citizenship, something that would have been hard to sleep with.

The US rules are unbending, if you are a US citizen you must apply for
a US license even if you are only visiting for a fortnight. When I
stayed for a long period they even tried to nick my Aussie drivers
license when I applied for a US one///

wrote:
As a UK citizen, I can use my Australian license in the UK so long as I am
visiting for less than 3 months. After that time, the privilege expires and
I have to get a UK license. Much the same as driving licenses.

Doesn't the US do the same?

There is no requirement to get a US license if one is operating under
a CEPT/CITEL/reciprocity agreement as long as the person is not a US
citizen. If s/he is a US citizen, a US license is required from day
one regardless of any dual citizenship and licensing held.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Air plane call signs. [email protected] Shortwave 0 June 8th 11 04:38 AM
Ø How to make them for call signs Caveat Lector Dx 5 July 8th 07 03:15 PM
Halloween Call Signs Keyboard In The Wilderness Shortwave 0 October 31st 04 03:15 PM
old call signs Stephen CB 3 October 22nd 04 05:42 PM
Call Signs? Jim CB 12 January 21st 04 08:34 AM