Old April 26th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] groupk0hb@earthlink.net is offline

Default "Are ham radio operators still around, even?"

Radio Shack, once one of the premier suppliers to the tinkerers and
experimenters among us, and still a source of the occasional
connector, roll of solder, switch, or other item, seems to be having
an identiy crisis.

I recently saw, on the "Onion", this quotation reported to be from Mr.
Day, their CEO. I sent the email below to them, and will report their
response here.

Here's the quote: (Entire article at http://tinyurl.com/29e856 )

--------------------------
"What is that, some kind of World War II terminology? Are
ham radio operators still around, even? Aren't we in the
digital age?"
--------------------------

Dear Mr. Day,

Yes, we are in the digital age, and luckily for you and your company
ham radio operators are still around. Something around 650,000 in the
USA, and millions more around the world. Many of us still know
precisely how many minutes it will take us to get to the nearest Radio
Shack store for an electronic part or tool that we need to get our
station (probably running a digital mode) back on the air. (Seven
minutes from my house.)

Maybe you need to research your market a little more, and the lack of
understanding of your company which you bemoan in the "Onion"
interview can be reversed.

And, oh-by-the-way, hams talk to each other ...... it's what we
do ..... what do you expect we're saying about Radio Shack corporate
management about now?

Hans Brakob
Amateur Radio Station K0HB
1620 Weston Lane