Old May 8th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
RDWeaver RDWeaver is offline

Default How Popular Is/Was Amateur Radio

On May 7, 10:45 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

An activity like ham radio is going to have its ups and downs.
It will ebb and flow. These variations can last several years
so are hard to evaluate.

Dee, N8UZE

According to the figures that the OP posted here and in other threads
(no reason to doubt them) ham radio has had steady "ups" with no
"downs" to a high in 2003. Then in just the past 4 years (2003-2007)
the number of "hams/1000 population" has fallen to BELOW the ratio of
1990. In other words, after //many\\ UNBROKEN DECADES of rising
popularity, in just //4 years since 2003\\ we have shed the gains of
the previous 13 years and continue to head south. Calling that "ebb
and flow" is, in my opinion, a bad case of 'whistling past the grave
yard'.

The fellow in another thread talking about the 'last generation' may
be onto something.

73, RDW