Old May 11th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default How Popular Is/Was Amateur Radio

"KØHB" wrote in message
ps.com
On May 10, 6:20 pm, AF6AY wrote:

Why is the (supposed) laugh on voice expressed as "HI
HI."

For the same reason that hams give "59" signal reports
instead of saying "you're loud and clear", for the same
reason that they say "73" instead of "best wishes", and
for the same reason that they say "QSL" instead of "I got
that". These, and "hi hi", are carryovers of CW
"shorthand" and have survived as a natural sort of
"insiders lingo". As a newer ham you may find them
unnatural or awkward to use, and the good news is that
everyone will still be happy to snag your prefix in WPX,
even if you don't say TKS ES GL OM HI HI..

73, de Hans, K0HB

The CW shorthand I can understand, but why "handle"..?!

73 Ivor G6URP