Old May 10th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default How Popular Is/Was Amateur Radio

"KØHB" wrote in message
ups.com
On May 10, 12:26 pm, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Now that one really *does* irritate me. A handle is for
opening a door. I have a *name*, ok..?!

Must be an individual preference thing. I've been
licensed almost 50 years, and have been saying "The
handle here is Hans" all that time. Learned it from my
elders way-back-when and old habits are hard to break I
guess.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Ok Hans, I can understand that, but just out of curiosity, *why* do you
say "handle" instead of "name" - it's not at all obvious to me.

Perhaps you don't know, tell me..! For my part, I don't know why it
irritates me, it just does..! But then I don't know why for a lot of
things..! Someone once asked me why I always put two dots before an
exclamation or a question mark, I don't know why, I just do ;-)

73 Ivor G6URP

Old May 10th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 10, 9:46 am, wrote:

Word meanings sometimes change over time. Like the word "handle"....

The meaning of that word hasn't changed. In amateur radio usage it is
still generally accepted to mean "name". In popular CB usage it is
used to denote a pseudonym or aptronym, but even that usage is
commonly found in amateur radio. For example, an MD might use the
aptronym "Doc", or my old friend W3UBM (sk) who used the aptronym
"Sparky" --- he was a radio officer in the merchant marine.

A rose by any other handle would smell as sweet.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 10th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 10, 3:37 pm, "Ivor Jones" wrote:

Ok Hans, I can understand that, but just out of curiosity, *why* do you
say "handle" instead of "name" - it's not at all obvious to me.

Probably mostly from ingrained habit. When I got into amateur radio
as a teen it was what "the oldtimers" did, and newcomers wanting
nothing more than to be perceived as "insiders", adopt the mannerisms
of those they heard on the air.

Many vocations and avocations have a "lingo" which, while it may
strike outsiders as "quaint" or "affected", identifies you to your
peers as "one of them".

73, de Hans

(For another example, why do we say "73" on phone, when it was
originally meant as Morse shorthand for some long flowery phrase like
"All the very best wishes, fair winds, following seas, and I hope you
get lucky with the fair maid who is the object of your humble but
earnest desire.")

Old May 10th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 10, 7:37�am, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
"KØHB" wrote in message

ups.com

On May 10, 12:26 pm, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Now that one really *does* irritate me. A handle is for
opening a door. I have a *name*, ok..?!

Must be an individual preference thing. I've been
licensed almost 50 years, and have been saying "The
handle here is Hans" all that time. Learned it from my
elders way-back-when and old habits are hard to break I
guess.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Ok Hans, I can understand that, but just out of curiosity, *why* do you
say "handle" instead of "name" - it's not at all obvious to me.

Handle: Some etymologists trace that back to the Old West
of the USA prior to 1900 as "cowboy talk" or "rancher talk."
Some of you easterners just don't appreciate the old west. :-)

Perhaps you don't know, tell me..! For my part, I don't know why it
irritates me, it just does..! But then I don't know why for a lot of
things..! Someone once asked me why I always put two dots before an
exclamation or a question mark, I don't know why, I just do ;-)

I once had a wonderful sports car, a 1953 Austin-Healey. Naturally
the trunk (as we say it) was called a "boot." The hood (as we say
it, particularly the hinged cover over the engine) was called a
"bonnet" in the owner's manual. In old motor cars the engine
compartment did indeed resemble a pre-1900 woman's bonnet.
By the end of WWII cars were a lot more streamlined and the
"bonnet" didn't even look like a woman's hat. :-)

BTW, that Healey's aluminum body made a great mobile
ground plane for my CB. [just to keep this on radio subjects]

73, Len AF6AY

73 Ivor G6URP- Hide quoted text -

Old May 10th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 10, 9:41�am, K�HB wrote:
[...]

Why is the (supposed) laugh on voice expressed as "HI HI."
And in a flat voice at that? :-) I've heard that all over HF
along with flat, emotionless voice expressions. Do radio
waves blank out emotions? :-)

Why do some "sign" messages with the "de" before a call sign?
The message originator on newsgroups is already identified in
the message header as to whom it is from. Questions,
questions. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Old May 10th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KØHB wrote:
[...]

If I might respectfully offer a little perspective for us all....

Not everyone speaks as we do. There are different customs in different
areas.

I for one cringe every time that I hear someone speaking "HI HI" on
phone. To my way of thinking, if something is funny, I will laugh.

However, I realize that my personal dislike of that particular phrase
is MY problem, not the person who is saying the words that irritate me.

So unless the other person's words are obscene or suggestive, I'll just
avoid imposing my opinions on them.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 11th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 10, 6:20 pm, AF6AY wrote:

Why is the (supposed) laugh on voice expressed as "HI HI."

For the same reason that hams give "59" signal reports instead of
saying "you're loud and clear", for the same reason that they say
"73" instead of "best wishes", and for the same reason that they say
"QSL" instead of "I got that". These, and "hi hi", are carryovers of
CW "shorthand" and have survived as a natural sort of "insiders
lingo". As a newer ham you may find them unnatural or awkward to
use, and the good news is that everyone will still be happy to snag
your prefix in WPX, even if you don't say TKS ES GL OM HI HI..

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 11th 07, 12:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"KØHB" wrote in message
ps.com
On May 10, 6:20 pm, AF6AY wrote:

Why is the (supposed) laugh on voice expressed as "HI
HI."

For the same reason that hams give "59" signal reports
instead of saying "you're loud and clear", for the same
reason that they say "73" instead of "best wishes", and
for the same reason that they say "QSL" instead of "I got
that". These, and "hi hi", are carryovers of CW
"shorthand" and have survived as a natural sort of
"insiders lingo". As a newer ham you may find them
unnatural or awkward to use, and the good news is that
everyone will still be happy to snag your prefix in WPX,
even if you don't say TKS ES GL OM HI HI..

73, de Hans, K0HB

The CW shorthand I can understand, but why "handle"..?!

73 Ivor G6URP

Old May 11th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
LVN LVN is offline

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

The CW shorthand I can understand, but why "handle"..?!

Handle means someone's name, has done since the early 1800.

This is the quote usually cited:

http://www.answers.com/topic/handle-to-one-s-name

Old May 11th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Origin of "Handle" for name

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote in message
ps.com
On May 10, 6:20 pm, AF6AY wrote:

Why is the (supposed) laugh on voice expressed as "HI
HI."

For the same reason that hams give "59" signal reports
instead of saying "you're loud and clear", for the same
reason that they say "73" instead of "best wishes", and
for the same reason that they say "QSL" instead of "I got
that". These, and "hi hi", are carryovers of CW
"shorthand" and have survived as a natural sort of
"insiders lingo". As a newer ham you may find them
unnatural or awkward to use, and the good news is that
everyone will still be happy to snag your prefix in WPX,
even if you don't say TKS ES GL OM HI HI..

73, de Hans, K0HB

The CW shorthand I can understand, but why "handle"..?!

73 Ivor G6URP

For what it worth - from URL:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...at-HOBBIES.htm

"The term handle is an old slang term for name that goes back to the cowb
oys
of the Old West. Telegraphers picked it up and the ham radio operators go
it from them. CB operators copied the hams, and there you have it."

I have heard several old time hams give this explanation

Lamont