Old May 11th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default 2m FM calling practices

"The Shadow" wrote in message

[snip]

I refer you to the ARRL Page at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/repeater1.pdf

It sez"
"Making your first transmission on a repeater is as
simple as signing your call. If the repeater is quiet,
just say "N1GZO" or "N1GZO listening" -- to attract
someone's attention."
Further it states "

"Don't call CQ to initiate a conversation on a repeater.
It takes longer to complete a CQ than to transmit your
call sign. (In some areas, a solitary "CQ" is
permissible.) Efficient communication is the goal. You
are not on HF, trying to attract the attention of someone
who is casually tuning across the band. In the FM mode,
stations are either monitoring their favorite frequency
or not."
At one time "monitoring " was for control operators, but
now a days in So Calif, you will here "Listening" or
"Monitoring" Calling CQ on a repeater will get you 10
guys replying "We don't use CQ on repeaters" and a big
argument about it. Travelling across country, the same
protocol is generally used IMHO.

Similar thing here. In the UK, it's generally frowned on to call CQ on a
repeater, but you often hear new licensees doing it. I usually just say
something like "G6URP listening GB3xx" (repeater calls all start GB3
here).

73 Ivor G6URP