Old May 1st 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default 2m FM calling practices

"Jack VK2CJC" wrote in
message
"S20" (or "V40" as I suppose we should call it now that
12.5 kHz channels have come into use) is the calling
channel,

Hi Ivor

I left the UK just as 12.5 channels were being
implemented. Are they being used? Or does everyone still
use the old channels but with narrower deviation?

They're not used much, to be honest. Although there are a few simplex
Echolink gateways that use some of them.

"CQ V40" just doesn't seem to sound right to me )

No, you're right, it doesn't, does it..?! ;-)

73 Ivor G6URP

Old May 11th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Alan" wrote ...
It seems that "monitoring" has fallen out of favor, at least with
folks I know. If you want to talk to someone, you might say something
like:

"Anyone around? callsign"

or even actually call CQ.

"Monitoring" tells me you are listening, but does not imply that you
are actively soliciting a contact, just that your radio is on.

"Monitoring..." seems to be the most prevalent method
that I am hearing on the popular repeaters here in the
PDX area.

KE7GKP

Old May 11th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Alan" wrote in message
In article . com
writes:
On Apr 29, 5:16 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:

In the USA, CQ is not used for VHF/UHF FM. Simply callsign monitoring.
CQ is used for the VHF/UHF SSB mode

Lamont

In some areas of the U.S, "CQ" is certainly used on VHF/UHF FM. If a
CQ works on 160 through 10 and works on 6m, 2m and 70cm SSB or CW,
pressing the PTT switch and saying, "CQ from K8MN" works fine on VHF
or UHF FM.

Dave K8MN

It seems that "monitoring" has fallen out of favor, at least with
folks I know. If you want to talk to someone, you might say something
like:

"Anyone around? callsign"

or even actually call CQ.

"Monitoring" tells me you are listening, but does not imply that you
are actively soliciting a contact, just that your radio is on.

Alan
wa6azp

I refer you to the ARRL Page at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/repeater1.pdf

It sez"
"Making your first transmission on a repeater is as simple as signing your
call. If the repeater is quiet, just say "N1GZO" or "N1GZO listening" -- to
attract someone's attention."

Further it states "

"Don't call CQ to initiate a conversation on a repeater. It takes longer to
complete a CQ than to transmit your call sign. (In some areas, a solitary
"CQ" is permissible.) Efficient communication is the goal. You are not on
HF, trying to attract the attention of someone who is casually tuning across
the band. In the FM mode, stations are either monitoring their favorite
frequency or not."

At one time "monitoring " was for control operators, but now a days in So
Calif, you will here "Listening" or "Monitoring" Calling CQ on a repeater
will get you 10 guys replying "We don't use CQ on repeaters" and a big
argument about it. Travelling across country, the same protocol is generally
used IMHO.

Lamont

Old May 11th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 11, 1:41 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:

Calling CQ on a repeater will get you 10 guys replying "We
don't use CQ on repeaters" and a big argument about it.

These 'radio cops' exist on all bands, not just repeaters. I once
wrote a parody/satire humor piece about them, too funny to be posted
here, but you can view a copy at http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-cont.../msg00393.html

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 11th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KØHB wrote in
oups.com:

On May 11, 1:41 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:

Calling CQ on a repeater will get you 10 guys replying "We
don't use CQ on repeaters" and a big argument about it.

These 'radio cops' exist on all bands, not just repeaters. I once
wrote a parody/satire humor piece about them, too funny to be posted
here, but you can view a copy at
http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-cont.../msg00393.html

Around my area, pretty much everything goes... (what's legal anyway). The
repeater users are all pretty laid back folks with a lot of tolerance. All
the "repeater cops" pretty much left 2 meters some time ago.

Old May 11th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 11, 3:40 pm, KØHB wrote:

but you can view a copy at http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2005-1

2/msg00393.html

Cute!

73, RDW

Old May 11th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 11, 7:01 pm, John wrote:

Around my area, pretty much everything goes... (what's legal anyway).

As long as it's legal, that ought to be the test.

What ever happened to the old FCC Official Observer program? These
were licensed volunteers (hams just like you and me) who passed some
screening exam, and then cruised the bands looking for problems. As I
recall they had no 'police' power but could issue you a 'friendly
reminder', backed up by "chapter and verse" if you were afoul of the
rules. This reminder didn't go on any record, but was intended to
take a load off the FCC monitoring stations. I suppose that 'frequent
offenders' were referred upstairs, but I never heard of it.

73, RDW

Old May 11th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"The Shadow" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

Similar thing here. In the UK, it's generally frowned on to call CQ on a
repeater, but you often hear new licensees doing it. I usually just say
something like "G6URP listening GB3xx" (repeater calls all start GB3
here).

73 Ivor G6URP

Old May 12th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Similar thing here. In the UK, it's generally frowned on to call CQ on a
repeater, but you often hear new licensees doing it. I usually just say
something like "G6URP listening GB3xx"

I do the same.

I think this whole "anti-CQ on repeaters" movement came from the days where
repeaters were a new and strange phenomenon. And possibly some used their
80m and 40m CQ calling techniques. You know what I mean- "CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ,
this is ????? CQ CQ CQ etc etc blah blah". Now doing THAT on a repeater
would annoy the life out of everyone so must be discouraged. And this has
developed into an intolerance to hearing the letters C and Q together.

After all, what's the difference between.

VK2CJC listening for any calls.
and
VK2CJC calling CQ.

Keep it short. Keep it clear. And who cares what terminology is used )

Calling all Trolls! Calling all Trolls! Gregg needs help at rec.radio.shortwave! nurk_fred2000[_2_] Shortwave 17 June 5th 10 11:41 PM
Last Calling! Mark Zenier Shortwave 0 April 1st 06 06:24 PM
Great introduction to HF techniques and practices KØHB General 12 June 16th 05 07:56 PM
Great introduction to HF techniques and practices KØHB Policy 12 June 16th 05 07:56 PM
CALLING L E O CALLING L E O K4-OLD-KING-ALLIGATOR General 0 September 27th 03 04:15 AM