Old April 13th 04, 07:07 PM
Joel Kolstad

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" wrote:
My attitude is that rather than try to do this (and in the process lose
reliability), it's better to go supersize on the cells, add more area
and overall capacity to get you thru the cloudy days, and have a higher
capacity overall.

The argument usually goes that getting, say, 10-20% more power from a better
charge controller (one of these so-called 'maximum power point controllers')
can be cheaper (in additional expenditures) than getting 10-20% larger
panels. It's sometimes difficult to show, though, particularly on small
systems -- but MPPT controllers have been getting cheaper for awhile, now,
and I expect that eventually all but the cheapest/smallest will have this
functionality.

---Joel Kolstad