Old July 31st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default July 23, 2007 ARS License Numbers

wrote:

Now suppose RBB had included things like a slice of CW-only space for
the CW ops, a slice of no-data space for the 'phone ops, and a slice
of "all modes" space for everybody. The result might have been very
different.

The big mistake ARRL (and CTT, and many others) make is that they
don't really know how popular their proposals are *before* submitting
them to FCC.

Whatever is the point of *any* amateur radio group submitting a Part
97 proposal that generates 70, 80, 90% negative comments? All that
does is annoy FCC, IMHO.

The way I see it is that indeed the proposal was a big mistake. The
folks who were all about the robot stations effectively took over the
process, and hoped to push things through with their agenda intact.

This is not an unusual thing. Many different groups see their own
interests as paramount to the "big picture" in Ham radio (though it
isn't exclusive to the ARS) I've sat through lectures from Emergency
Operation fans on how amateur radio MUST change to acommodate their
particular view. Pro contesters/anti contesters, the different folks
involved all have a vision of what the service needs to be.

In the case of the RBB, the big picture was circumvented, and the result
was predictable and hams did their job. Some people look at it as a
failure. I look at as a shining success. A bad idea was beat down.

Of course, after being chased around the bands by some of those stations
while trying to enjoy some psk31, I suppose that would be natural on my
part. ;^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -