Old November 1st 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

"Steve Bonine" wrote in message

So it makes
sense to require us to know the regs rather than expecting our rigs to
prevent our mistakes.

I agree with this, but it brought a question to my mind.

The new generation of HF transceivers -- the ones that have quite a bit of
computing ability built in -- do they have the ability to enforce
sub-bands? Certainly they *could* have that ability, since they already
"know" the band edges and in most cases won't allow you to transmit
completely outside a band allocation, but why not support the next step
and not allow SSB in the CW band?

This will cause a problem for those who use AFSK for RTTY rather than FSK.

The radio has to be set for "SSB" to use AFSK. The effect on the receiving
end is identical to using FSK and so is a perfectly legal way to do RTTY..
If you put this as a "hard point" in the radio, you eliminate using AFSK for
RTTY. Something along the lines of the "law of unintended consequences".

Dee, N8UZE