Old March 3rd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default And now for something totally different!

wrote:
On Feb 29, 9:16�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:40:11 -0500, N2EY wrote:
On Feb 29, 10:29 am, Michael Coslo wrote:

I'm a member of the function-determines-form
school of thought on this.
That sounder is an excellent example of that
school - its form is
exactly what it needs to be to do the job it was
intended to do. Yet it
is aesthetically pleasing without any added ornamentation.

You're just several pieces of brass and leather
away from steampunkin' it, Jim!

But I don't wanna be a steampunk!

Of course you can arrange your station to your own aesthetic 8^)

But see above about "form follows function" and "aesthetically
pleasing without any added ornamentation". Would adding brass and
leather make any difference in rig performance? Or are they only for
looks?

Well, now you open a interesting subsubject! The addition of brass to a
station is one of those choices that does not necessarily defeat
function. There needs to be a chassis to place components on or in. Is
aluminum or steel or plastic more functional than brass? there might be
some technical reasons fort one over the other, but in the end, they are
a support structure. An example is the copper plated chassis found in
some radios. Pretty cool. But I wonder how much "worse" they would
perform if they weren't plated?

IMHO, the form-follows-function aesthetic would brass- or nickle-plate
telegraph instruments to prevent corrosion. But it would not add brass
simply for a look.

Keeping in mind that fff could be used to not allow any embellishment,
such as staining, finishing, we have to make sure we don't minimalize
things out of existence.

side note: I once went to a classroom where a true minimalist had hung a
data projector from the ceiling from wires. Problem was, the fan would
push the projector, only as far as the wires would allow, and it made a
pendulum. People were getting seasick!

Same for leather - would the speaker sound better?

well, possibly could make for some vibration damping.

My thoughts are to make a setup that incorporates the aesthetic in a
fashion that is applicable to the situation. The equipment has to sit on
something, so it will be made in a fashion that involves natural
materials, and brass will be used where needed. I'm not going to remove
my radios from their cases and build wooden boxes around them. I don't
plan on overly embellishing the station, my goals are a warm feeling
with an antique look where practical

- 73 d eMike N3LI -