Old May 7th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones[_2_] Ivor Jones[_2_] is offline

Default Differences..!

In ,
typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: On May 7, 12:03�am, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
:
: what are the thoughts on my original point, that of the differences
: in attitude of the authorities in the US and UK about protection
: from
: interference from commercial operators using frequencies
: within the
: amateur bands..? It seems to me, unless I've misunderstood,
: that in the US
: you can still claim a certain degree of protection from other users,
: whereas here we can't.
:
: The following is just an informal observation...
:
: Here in the USA, we have two regulatory agencies for radio: FCC, which
: does non-government radio, and NTIA, which does government/military
: radio. NTIA trumps FCC, of course. The radar-interference case
: mentioned elsewhere in this thread clearly shows who has priority on
: the band in question.
:
: But your question is about *commercial* (nongovernment) users/
: intruders into the amateur bands, where such use is not part of the
: regulations.
:
: In theory, those intruders are breaking the law and should be removed
: by the FCC. In practice, the FCC is complaint-driven, which means
: amateurs must identify the intruder and complain to the FCC. Helping
: with such complaints is one of the major functions of the ARRL and its
: legal department.
:
: But simply complaining to FCC does not mean the problem will be
: solved, because FCC's resources are very limited. The motorsports
: story referred to required a lot of work on the part of the ARRL and
: the amateurs involved.
:
: 73 de Jim, N2EY

Ah, thanks. However, over here we do have "legal" intrusions into some of
the amateur bands, most are in the microwave region, notably 10GHz, where
we lost a sizeable chunk a while back.

The main one though is 431-432 MHz which is not available for use within
100km of Charing Cross (central London) and also for some distance around
the military radar installation at Fylingdales in Yorkshire. In the London
area I believe it's allocated to taxis of all things..! There isn't a lot
of amateur activity in that segment, I think some wide-split repeaters may
have inputs or outputs there but generally it's a low-occupancy segment of
the band, so all in all it's not a major hassle.

It's the principle of the thing that annoys me, though. Even where we are
primary users, such as 2m, we can claim *no* protection from interference,
even if the cause of said interference shouldn't be there.

73 Ivor G6URP